Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Concepts to learn in javascript for adobe launch / adobe analytics.

Level 6

I know JavaScript is an ocean but I want to know starting point in JavaScript so that I can get started with adobe launch. I am in basic level when it comes to launch implementation but i wanted to go to next level. I want to know concepts that has to be focused in java script to get started.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You'll need to know the minimal concepts of JavaScript, e.g. variable types (strings, integers, boolean, objects, arrays, etc), operations (especially joining strings).

Then, you should know about functions related to the DOM, e.g. document.querySelector(), maybe DOM tree traversal.

You can move up from there to advanced functions, especially those for arrays, e.g. forEach(), map().

Also, don't rely on/learn about JavaScript frameworks, jQuery. As much as possible, learn and use native/raw JavaScript. This is because Launch itself doesn't provide any framework, so you'll have the added complication of needing to bundle that framework in your code if you choose to go down that route.

Specifically for Launch, you should also be aware of its event-driven system. That means, when an Event in a Rule gets triggered, then that is when data elements get evaluated (especially those with "None" storage duration) and actions get run. That can affect the returned values from data elements or some JavaScript code.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You'll need to know the minimal concepts of JavaScript, e.g. variable types (strings, integers, boolean, objects, arrays, etc), operations (especially joining strings).

Then, you should know about functions related to the DOM, e.g. document.querySelector(), maybe DOM tree traversal.

You can move up from there to advanced functions, especially those for arrays, e.g. forEach(), map().

Also, don't rely on/learn about JavaScript frameworks, jQuery. As much as possible, learn and use native/raw JavaScript. This is because Launch itself doesn't provide any framework, so you'll have the added complication of needing to bundle that framework in your code if you choose to go down that route.

Specifically for Launch, you should also be aware of its event-driven system. That means, when an Event in a Rule gets triggered, then that is when data elements get evaluated (especially those with "None" storage duration) and actions get run. That can affect the returned values from data elements or some JavaScript code.

Level 6

Does adobe provides launch specific javascript articles or do you know any 3rd party site that provides launch specific java script article?

Community Advisor

Hi @aagk123 

There is no such concept of launch specific JavaScript.  The point's highlighted by @yuhuisg are good to start with. 

For more info, refer https://javascript.info/ or https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp 

Hope this helps.