Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Adobe Launch - How to read CustomEvent payloads and properties (event.detail.obj) - Core Extension 3.1+

asdruble-lima
Level 1
Level 1

Hey community,

It seems that since the release of Core extension 3.1+ in Adobe Launch, our code to retrieve a property of "event.detail" does not work.

We used to create a Data Element of type "Javascript Variable" with "event.detail.myproperty". Now it seems that a "Javascript Variable" no longer has access to the "event" object. Probably replaced by the new "Runtime Environment" (I guess for performance??).

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/tags/extensions/adobe/core/release-notes...

To fix this, we created a Custom Code that tests the object and returns the property. At least this still has "event" access.

However, this seems to be a less elegant solution than before.

How would I elegantly retrieve a property of "event.detail" using the new "Runtime Environment"?

Using "Event Detail Payload" only returns "event.detail", and it does not provide a flexible way to read properties (in my case 'event.detail' is an object, and not a string or a decimal).

asdrublelima_0-1640268649096.png

1 Accepted Solution
yuhuisg
Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

Generally, if you want to use event.detail.myProperty, where event.detail was set by a Custom Event browser event, then you can use it directly in your Rule's conditions and actions directly, without needing a separate data element.

E.g. in a Value Comparison condition, you can use

%event.detail.myProperty%

equals

foobar

E.g. in a Adobe Analytics Set Variables action, you can use in Custom Code:

s.eVar3 = event.detail.myProperty

The above will work even when you don't have an explicit Data Element called "event.detail.myProperty".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stancu
Employee
Employee

Hi,

As far as I am aware data elements never had access to the `event`. The `event` is sent to conditions and action modules. The JavaScript data element reads the values from the `window` object. When you create a JavaScript data element with `event.detail.myproperty`, it is translated to `window.event.detail.myproperty`. Are you sure you didn't have maybe a piece of code that was setting the `window.event` property? 

UPDATE: I was wrong, it seems data elements modules have access to the `event`. But JavaScript data elements doesn't use that and the code wasn't changed in 5 years: https://github.com/adobe/reactor-extension-core/blob/master/src/lib/dataElements/javascriptVariable..... I still think there is a possibility that somewhere in the code you were setting `window.event`.

yuhuisg
Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

Generally, if you want to use event.detail.myProperty, where event.detail was set by a Custom Event browser event, then you can use it directly in your Rule's conditions and actions directly, without needing a separate data element.

E.g. in a Value Comparison condition, you can use

%event.detail.myProperty%

equals

foobar

E.g. in a Adobe Analytics Set Variables action, you can use in Custom Code:

s.eVar3 = event.detail.myProperty

The above will work even when you don't have an explicit Data Element called "event.detail.myProperty".

View solution in original post

asdruble-lima
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @stancu and @yuhuisg,

I have found by accident that using %event.detail.myProperty% on an Action like "Adobe Analytics Set Variables" works without creating the Data Element. I thought I was going crazy.
Even if I have created a Data Element with the same name, I guess that Launch is not using the Data Element.
Thanks for explaining that it is the intended outcome!