Expand my Community achievements bar.

Writing integration tests for AEM (part 1) | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

Writing integration tests for AEM (part 1) by Jörg Hoh

Abstract

Building tests is an integral part of software development, and does not only include unit test but also integration and frontend tests. With AEM as a Cloud Service integration tests are getting more and more important, as it allows you to run automated tests on “real” cloud service instances as part of the Cloudmanager Pipeline. See the documentation of CloudManager.

If you check the details, you will find that the overall structure for integration tests are part of all projects which are created based on the AEM Project Archetype since at least version 11 (April 2017). So technically everyone is able to implement integration tests based on that structure yet, but I haven’t seen them to have received proper attention. I ignored these integration tests also for most of the time…

Recently I worked with my colleague Valentin Olteanu on creating a small integration test suite, and I was honestly surprised how easy it can be. And because integration tests are now an official part of the Cloud Manager pipeline and the first place where your code can be tested on an real CM instance.

So I want to give you a short overview of the capabilities of the Integration-Test framework for AEM. In the next blog post I will show a real-life usecase where such Integration tests can really help.

Ok, what are these integration tests and what can we do with these tests?

Integration tests are running outside of AEM, as part of the deployment/test pipeline. They test the interaction of your custom application (which you have validated with your unittests) with everything else, most prominently AEM itself. You can test the complete page rendering, you can test custom integrations, background processes and everything where you need the full AEM stack, and where mocks are not sufficient.

Read Full Blog

Writing integration tests for AEM (part 1)

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies