Expand my Community achievements bar.

Workflows on AEM 6.4

Level 1

I have the below questions related workflows on AEM 6.4

1. If Im having workflow models as part of the code, should I have the model code both in '/conf and /var(runtime model) locations in my codebase.

2. If Im triggering a workflow programatically, which location is to be used to get the modelId in order to get the workflow that is to be triggered

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

It should be /var/ to trigger workflow progamatically.

Arun Patidar

Level 1

Thanks smacdonald2008​, arun,

That answers my second question.

Any inputs on my first query?

Community Advisor

here you go

Previous location/etc/workflow/models
New location(s)

/libs/settings/workflow/models

/conf/global/settings/workflow/models

/var/workflow/models

find more details at Adobe Experience Manager Help | Common Repository Restructuring in AEM 6.4

Arun Patidar

Level 1

During the course of our project, we found that the answer to the first query would be a 'yes'

The workflow model code in both the /conf & /var locations should be a part of the project codebase.

Level 2

Hello,

I also encountered this issue in AEM 6.5. The official documentation is not very helpful when talking about how to get your custom workflow into the system.

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Common Repository Restructuring in AEM 6.4

From a UX point of view it's not good that you have to open a default workflow and change the URL in the browser's address to your custom model.

Also I was not able to find that "sync button" mentioned at the 3. point when I have a workflow model open in the editor.

The 4. point kind of points at duplicating your custom workflow to "/config/settings/workflow/models/dam/my_workflow_model" and "/var/workflow/models/dam/my_workflow_model", but it's not explained why that's necessary.

Level 2

1. Yes, In both the locations , the one under  /conf serves as a template and the one under the /var is the real workflow instance which runs in the system.

2. for triggereing the workflow programatically, you need to mention the path under /var, Since the one under /var is the actual workflow running in the system.