Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Workflow Author -> Preview/Publisher -> Prod/Publisher

Level 5

I know some other CMS's have this concept and I am sure we can do it in AEM, but I have a client that wants a preview environment. So for example the client wants to author some pages....hit publish and it goes to a "preview/stage" they can send out a link....this link is maybe only internal and no one can see it in the "real world". Once ok'ed then it would be moved to Production site. Is there any documents that talk about preview publish and a prod publish?

Thanks

13 Replies

Level 10

We do this internally at Adobe. For this use case - you need to build a specific workflow. We do not have instructions on building such a workflow however - but you can look into using APIs to publish a page to a specific stage AEM server.

Community Advisor

Hi

I have come across this use case previously for one of our client. The approach we took is to create a custom workflow process and do the below in it

Pre requisite,

Set up Preview Replication agent and Publish replication agent in the server

1) Author activates the content

2) Mail triggered to the approvers

3) Approvers , click complete/approve , the workflow proceeds to next step , this would be a custom activation process step with arguments passed to the workflow as "preview" or whatever identifier you need to identify this activation is for preview

In the process step, get the argument and write custom activation for the replication agent you passed as argument.

4) repeat step 2

5) once approved , again custom activation is triggered with replication agent/s for PROD as arguments

To put a simple workflow model, it would look something like below

1419604_pastedImage_1.png

1419632_pastedImage_2.png 

You can find the replication agent id under /etc/replication/agents.author.html . The one highlighted would be your id. This would be unique for each agent configured in the server

1419633_pastedImage_3.png

CQ5.3: How to activate to a specific replication agent this will help you to understand how to replicate to a specific agent.

Please let me know if you need any more information around this . Happy to help

Thanks

Veena

Level 5

this is what I thought, thanks...this helps alot. See you all at Summit

Level 3

Hello Veena,

I am trying to implement similar workflow can you please help me on this.

Level 10

Since i said we do not have any examples back in Feb  - now we do. You can use the Replication API and workflows (and rep agents) to replicate content to other AEM instances. See this AEM Article that talks about how to use the Replication API and use that within workflows.

Scott's Digital Community: Replicating Experience Manager Content using the Replication API

We included a video too. 

Level 3

Hello All,

I am able to publish the my page to one specific publisher by taking that specific agent I.D.

But I am not able to publish all the references associated to that page can you please suggest me how to acheive this?

Thanks,

Adithya.

Employee Advisor

You might use the ReferenceList feature:

Resource r = ... ; // that's the resource you want to get the references for

ReferenceList = r.adaptTo(ReferenceList.class);

(ReferenceList ("The Adobe AEM Quickstart and Web Application.") )

Level 3

Hello Team,

My client have similar requirement as seant73420436 mentioned in this original post

We have a workflow for content approval and we have a preview server attached to author instance. whenever we create a page in author it is automatically replicated to preview publisher(replication agent settings: -->Enabled Ignore default, On modification and No versioning in triggers tab).

When workflow starts the first process step is to lock the page. once it is locked only author or admin can unlock the page. As an author I am trying to edit the content on the page after workflow starts. Either I unlock the page or not, if I try to edit anything on the page  the workflow is getting terminated. There are no errors in logs too.

Can someone help me out on this.

Thanks,

Adithya.

Employee Advisor

Can you please open a new thread for this issue? Because this is a totally different issue, although it happens in a very similar setup.

Thanks,

Jörg

Level 1

Hello team,

Do you know if there is a way to replicate versions from Author to Publisher?

what I want is to replicate jcr:versionStorage from Author to Publisher each time when I create a new version.

Thank you very much!

Employee Advisor

For new questions please raid a new thread. Thanks!

Jörg

Level 1

Hello,

I am facing one issue with content approval workflow. I have created a content approval workflow model based on the default workflow model 'Request for activation' model. Workflow is workfing fine but instead of publisher name, its showing publisher name as 'workflow-process-service' in siteadmin page screen.

Can you please let me know if any additional configurations are needed?

Thanks,

Laskhmi