Expand my Community achievements bar.

Why the "uber-jar-6.5.5-sources.jar" does not contain the source code of all open source libraries and why the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-javadoc.jar" does not contain Javadoc for some proprietary code?

Level 3

Hi, 

I have two questions which are related to the usage of the "uber-jar" in an IDE like Eclipse: 

Question 1) Why the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-sources.jar" does not contain at least the source code of the open source libraries which are included in the uber-jar? Why it is either empty or not provided by Adobe at all? 

For example, why it does not contain the source code of "org.apache.jackrabbit.api.security.user.UserManager"? 

At least the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-javadoc.jar" contains the Javadoc of the above-mentioned class, but why the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-sources.jar" does not contain its source code? It is an open source project and you can see links to its source repository here: https://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/source-repository.html

Therefore I do not understand why Adobe did not include it (and the source code of other open source libraries) in the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-sources.jar". 

In case if Adobe does not provide the "sources" file for its uber-jar at all (it is currently unavailable under the Adobe's public repo, as of 4th March 2021), then why Adobe does not provide it? 

Question 2) Why the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-javadoc.jar" does not contain at least the Javadoc of some proprietary classes which are not open source? (I don't mean their source code here as these seem to be some proprietary "closed" code of Adobe, but at least their Javadoc should be available.)

For example, why it does not contain at least the Javadoc of all classes which are located in the package "javax.jcr" and its sub-packages, like for example the class "javax.jcr.security.AccessControlManager"? 

It makes the life of an AEM developer who uses Eclipse more difficult. 

The problem with the file uber-jar-6.5.5-apis.jar is that in Eclipse you can only attach one jar file as a source of the Javadocs for it and also you can attach only one jar file as a source of the source code for it. 

For example, I can't specify for the file uber-jar-6.5.5-apis.jar in Eclipse multiple jar files with the source code of the Apache Jackrabbit library and multiple other open source libraries which are included in the uber-jar, if I already use the file "uber-jar-6.5.5-sources.jar" (or any other single jar file) as the source of the source code for it. 

I am used to being able to display all possible Javadocs and source codes of all libraries using the keys F2 and F3 in Eclipse. It disturbs my workflow and costs me additional time when I have to search for the Javadoc or source code of a given method/class in other places (e.g. on the Internet for each single open source library which is included in the Adobe's uber-jar). 

Does anyone know a solution to the above-mentioned problems? Or even better, will you Adobe fix these issues and make the life of the developers using your product easier? 

Thank you in advance for your answers. 

23 Replies