Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Why AEM Mobile is unsupported in new installs of AEM6.4

Level 2

In below link, its mentioned that the new installs of AEM 6.4, will not support AEM Mobile Apps functionality. Also, its mentioned that Adobe recommends using the SPA Editor for projects that require single page application framework-based client-side rendering.

Getting Started with AEM Mobile

I have few questions on this:-

1). Why did Adobe stopped supporting AEM Mobile Apps in fresh installs of AEM 6.4?

1). How SPA will behave as a platform(Android/iOS) native app knowing that its web application?

2). How SPA developed in ReactJs/AngularJs, will use mobile device's capabilities like camera/notifications or scanner or any device specific capabilities?

Please let me details on above.

Thanks.

1 Reply

Level 8

Just my opinion and the first thing is the industry is moving towards SPA and Apps

Why did Adobe stop supporting AEM Mobile Apps in fresh installs of AEM 6.4?

I feel like it was tightly coupled, you need to build app outside and upload into AEM, then create pages out there and author there itself and finally publish and also it required some additional skill set. From my point of view, I don't like this approach because of tightly coupled nature

With the help of new CaaS feature which is in AEM 6.3+, we do not need to follow all above steps to build mobile apps and everything is logically separated and you can create a mobile app frontend using any of the technologies it could be Android, React, Angular or some other framework, from AEM side the only thing you need to know is how to export your content as models. Let mobile app developers consume the services and render however they want. the advantage with this is you can deliver the product as early as possible due to the parallel development

The SPA is different and the mobile app is different, I think we can re-use the same models for both a mobile app and web application

We are building a mobile app using Angular, React or Android so it supports mobile device capabilities

I don't know exactly maybe AEM moving towards CaaS based platform and let people decide what kind of front-end application they want SPA web application or mobile apps. or screens etc.