Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

What's the best way to customize the Asset editor in a 6.1 multi-tenant environment?

Level 4

In an AEM 6.1 environment with multiple sites deployed to the same instances, how could we go about extending/customizing the DAM asset editor in a way where all projects could add a few custom meta-data fields to the fields that come with the out of the box asset editor? Is it as simple as naming each tenants asset editor with a different name etc., (/site1-asseteditor, /site2-asseteditor, /site3-asseteditor), or otherwise differentiating by path etc.? The problem is that more than one site has extended the asset editor, and I'm currently in a situation where each site's customizations will be overwritten during each subsequent deployment.

What are some ways I could provide for this so that each project/site wouldn't overwrite each others customizations during subsequent deployments of code from one of the other tenants/sites? The same principle would be needed for extensions to OrderedFolders et. al. too. I've seen the examples for extending asset editor in the stock Adobe documentation, but I'm not sure if this would be the best way to do it.

Path of customizations in the current 5.6.1 environment

/apps/dam/content/asseteditors
/apps/dam/widgets/source/widgets/AssetEditor.js
/apps/foundation/components/primary/sling/OrderedFolder

6 Replies

Former Community Member

hi ,

i am working in Ipistis Technologies Pvt. Ltd. I wanted to know if I have to keep the connection open all the time in order to get the data?

Level 4

Does anyone have any ideas/alternate solutions with various pros and cons, for resolving this issue?

Level 10

Follow the Adobe docs - if you think its wrong - please file a ticket. I wish we had more content for this use case - but the docs are the only source of content that is applicable. 

Level 4

smacdonald2008 wrote...

Follow the Adobe docs - if you think its wrong - please file a ticket. I wish we had more content for this use case - but the docs are the only source of content that is applicable. 

Is there a document that covers how to do this in a multi-tenant environment, (with pros and cons of various approaches)? E.g., when it comes to page components, there are tons of documentation that covers best practices and ways to overlay, extend, inherit etc. so that you don't change the out of the box implementation, but not as much covering things like the Adobe DAM customizations, asset editor etc. Please link whatever you have and were referring to. If anyone else has suggestions, please chime in. It's VERY much appreciated.

Administrator

Reference article :- https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/the-problems-of-multi-tenancy-governance

// The problems of multi-tenancy: governance

I have asked internal team to also have a look at this.

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni