Expand my Community achievements bar.

Upgrading from app server based AEM to jar based AEM

Level 5

Hi Experts,

We have  AEM5.6.1 installed on top of JBOSS App server. Now we are planning to upgrade it to jar based standalone AEM6.2 without JBOSS . I refered to adobe docs but it does not have any information regarding migration of app server based 5.6.1 to jar based 6.2.

We are not sure how to proceed with this. Please help us with some documentations or experiences you guys have in this regard.
8 Replies

Level 7

Hi,

Please take a look into the below link documentation. It might help you.

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/deploy/upgrade.html#par_title_1963308877

Thanks

Tuhin 

Level 5

Hi Tuhin,

The link talks about upgrading jar based installations. But my case is i have to upgrade App server based 5.6.1 instance to jar based 6.2.

Level 10

I dont think we have that usecase documented anywhare. However, I can think of couple of options

1. Start the new AEM instance from jar. Deploy all the code and move the content via package mgr. However, you may loose the versions in this approach.

2. Copy the existing repository folder to a directory. Start the new AEM instance by pointing to the external data store. In this case your repository will be standing outside your CQ installation folder.

Hope this helps !

Level 5

Hi Lokesh,

Thanks for the response. Can we file a daycare request to help us in this regard?

Level 7

You could definitely create a day care ticket and seek help from them.

Thanks

Tuhin

Level 7

As Loki said this is not documented then if version is not a problem for you proceed with the first approach "Start the new AEM instance from jar. Deploy all the code and move the content via package mgr" as mentioned by Loki.

Cheers,

Tuhin 

Level 5

Tuhin Ghosh wrote...

As Loki said this is not documented then if version is not a problem for you proceed with the first approach "Start the new AEM instance from jar. Deploy all the code and move the content via package mgr" as mentioned by Loki.

Cheers,

Tuhin 

We did thought about this approach but we were a bit unsure since we are migrating the repository from CRX2 to OAK.

It  will be really helpful if you guys can brief us the second option 

2. Copy the existing repository folder to a directory. Start the new AEM instance by pointing to the external data store. In this case your repository will be standing outside your CQ installation folder