Expand my Community achievements bar.

SP1 not showing as applied in AEM 6.1

Level 1

Hello,

I've installed AEM 6.1 FP1 and am trying to apply SP1 on the installation.  When I'm on the client machine, I do not have web access so I am using this method to apply the Service Pack:

"A. Place the package into ../crx-quickstart/install while the server is running. The package gets installed automatically."

I am placing the AEM-6.1-Service-Pack-1-6.1.SP1.zip inside configurationManager/export/crx-quickstart/install, but nothing is happening and it's not showing the SP1 as applied through the adminui console.  

1. Is this the right zip or should I be using the zips inside this file? 

2. Is the crx-quickstart inside configurationManager/export the right location? 

I am not seeing any messages at all in error.log that would apply it's even trying to isntall.  I've also restarted my weblogic servers to see if it picks it up then.

Thank you!

7 Replies

Level 7

Have you tried restarting your AEM instance once after placing the zip there?

Thanks

Tuhin

Administrator

Hi 

Steps for installing AEM 6.1 with SP1 [Initial Install]

1. Download SP1 zip.

2. Unpack the AEM jar using command : java -jar cq-author-4502.jar -unpack
3. Create a folder named “install” inside the “crx-quickstart” folder (this is folder created parallel to jar file).
4. Copy the SP1 zip file downloaded in Step 1 inside the install folder. (If install folder is not there, you can create it).
5. Double click on cq-author-4502.jar. The installation process will start and after successful installation you will be directed to a AEM login page. Note: The initial installation will take some time.

Verify if SP1 installation is successful

1. Visit AEM Welcome page
2. After login, check for the version. It should be Adobe Experience Manager, Version 6.1.0.SP1.

Steps for installing AEM 6.1 with SP1 [Running instance]

There are two ways to automatically install SP1 into a running instance:

A. Place the package into ../crx-quickstart/install (this is folder created parallel to jar file) while the server is running. The package gets installed automatically.

B. Use the HTTP API from Package Manager – make sure you use cmd=install&recursive=true – so the nested package are installed.

Note:- The "install" folder documentation talking about is inside "crx-quickstart" folder which is created when you start the AEM server.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1

Hello kautuksahni,

Do you know where the default crx-quickstart directory would be?  I'm not sure where 'parallel to the jar file' is because we did not install using this java unpack command.  It was an in-place upgrade from livecycle es4 and we installed by downloading aemforms_server_6_1_1_weblogic_all_unix.tar.gz and running install.bin.  I'm not able to find cq-author-4502.jar.

Thanks!

Anish

Employee

Hi Anish,

so it appears that you are using AEM Forms JEE? Which path from the following[0] is the way in which the upgrade was done and how is AEM running in OSGI or JEE? Before giving guidance or attempting any SP installations, it would be good for you to get a better understanding of your installation.

You said you installed AEM 6.1 FP1, how did you install it?

Regards,

Opkar

[0]https://helpx.adobe.com/aem-forms/6-1/upgrade.html

Employee

anishs47267115 wrote...

Hello,

I've installed AEM 6.1 FP1 and am trying to apply SP1 on the installation.  When I'm on the client machine, I do not have web access so I am using this method to apply the Service Pack:

"A. Place the package into ../crx-quickstart/install while the server is running. The package gets installed automatically."

I am placing the AEM-6.1-Service-Pack-1-6.1.SP1.zip inside configurationManager/export/crx-quickstart/install, but nothing is happening and it's not showing the SP1 as applied through the adminui console.  

1. Is this the right zip or should I be using the zips inside this file? 

2. Is the crx-quickstart inside configurationManager/export the right location? 

I am not seeing any messages at all in error.log that would apply it's even trying to isntall.  I've also restarted my weblogic servers to see if it picks it up then.

Thank you!

Hi,

you should have we web access as this is a task that should be run by an admin. You never said which OS you are using, or if this is an author or publish. Are you sure the file can be read by the process owner for AEM?

The path you gave,configurationManager/export/crx-quickstart/install, I'm not sure I understand the first part of the path, is that the path you created in your filesystem, then when you unpacked/started AEM it created crx-quickstart? 

You need to add the zip file to cry-quickstart/install, if install does not exist, you need to create it. However, I would ask how packages are normally deployed on this system? Is it usually via package manager, if it is, then I would carry on using that method for deploying packages. You can even use curl to deploy packages, so you don't need web access to deploy the package. There are plenty of examples of doing this on the web[0]

Regards,

Opkar

[0]https://gist.github.com/sergeimuller/2916697

Level 1

Hi Opkar,

Thanks for the response. We do not have web access when we are connected to the client machine via vpn. We are using Linux redhat OS, and this is an initial upgrade to AEM from Livecycle ES4 so there is no specific way packages are normally installed or deployed.

The path I gave was the only 'crx-quickstart' path on the filesystem that was created as somepoint during installation.  It is inside the installation in 'configurationManager' where you would run the script to configure the instance.  I was checking if this is the right location since it doesn't seem to be working and I'm not sure what location the relative path in documentation is given for.

How could I use curl if the machine on which I'm installing does not have web access?

Thanks,

Anish

Administrator

Hi 

Your are not using AEM Standalone, its AEM Forms JEE.

Please refer to the document :- https://helpx.adobe.com/aem-forms/6-1/upgrade.html

Extra reference article:-  https://helpx.adobe.com/aem-forms/6-1/help-tutorials.html

Opkar have pointed you to right link.

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

Kautuk Sahni