Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

RTE Empty Tags

Level 3

Has anyone done anything to address the RTE editor adding empty tags, for example we see <h4></h4> and <h4> </h4> show up a lot in our site.  Is there any kinda of HTML Tidy that can be run after an edit is made? We're currently on 6.3 and have seen this in both the Classic and Touch UI.

8 Replies

Level 10

If you set the RTE, the data is stored under the page and the tags are not empty. For example - look at this example.

ARTE.png

The RTE data is stored under here:

/content/TestTouchRTE/jcr:content/par/text_774350964

See:

ARTE22.png

You should not have to introduce use of any lib to get HTML tags working with the RTE.

Level 3

Thanks, however, I seem to be missing something. I am seeing both empty <p> and <h4> tags on this page.  I have an example below.

2018-01-17 16_57_14-test h4.png

2018-01-17 16_58_24-CRXDE Lite.png

Level 10

Are <h> and <p> the only HTML tags that do not work properly?

Did this all of a stridden start? 

Level 3

I'm not sure if there are other empty tags on our site as well.

We've been reviewing our site for accessibility(WCAG 2.0) and that's what brought up the empty headers tags issue as it shows up in some of the accessibility reports we're looking at.  We recently  upgraded to 6.3 from 6.1, and from what I can see in the report it was an issue in both versions.

Level 10

This is indeed a strange issue and one that i have not seen before. It is not working like a normal server should be working. If you try using the text component on a fresh instance - you will the RTE storing tags properly and without this issue.

I am going to check internally to see if this issue has come up before.

Level 3

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.  I'll try it out on an out of the box instance too.

Level 10

Yes - that would be a great start at try to figure out what it going on. By default - the RTE editor should be storing all tags under the page in the text property.

Level 10

Talking with the Support team about this. They said its quite possible you need a patch to fix this. I recommend opening a Support ticket. This is not standard functionality that a community member can help you with if you require a hotfix.