Expand my Community achievements bar.

Replicating data between publishers + MongoDB

Level 5

Currently if I understand right, if there are two publishers, updating user node in one does not "automatically" update user node in the other publisher or for that matter any node doesn't replicate automatically.

Is there a way to do this or configure this automatically instead of manually adding code to reverse replicate to author and then replicate it to other publisher (by setting cq:distribute properties)?

Secondly, I read mongoDB persistance allows "automatic" sync of data. Does that mean we don't have to do that if we have moongoDB?

https://www.mongodb.com/lp/contact/mongodb-adobe-experience-manager#benefits

5 Replies

Level 8

You are correct - any data submitted on one publish instance is not automatically replicated to the other publish instance/author without some additional configuration and/or code.  There are numerous ways to achieve this functionality but implementation really depends on what it is you're trying to do.  You can certainly configure AEM to automatically replicate data when a node is created/modified without adding any additional code, but you need to ask if that's the best implementation for what you're trying to do.

As far as MongoDB, if you're talking about for User Generated Content then you're likely referring to MSRP.  It's important to note that use for this requires a license for Adobe Social Communities and any custom functionality will need to extend the appropriate API's to store and read data.  You're also correct that there wouldn't be configuration required to keep the publish instances in sync, but, there is some up front initial configuration for the datastore.  It should also be noted that you'd need to setup a SOLR instance for MSRP too.

Could you provide some more information around your use case so that a better answer can be provided?

Level 5

I need some information on how we can "configure" it so that we don't have to manually keep doing this task for different functions. Can you point to a document that details exact configurations that allow the nodes to be replicated to both nodes without code?

We need this functionality for the user nodes since we keep updating some user "preferences" of email and web notifications but currently this task is done in code and is causing a lot of unwanted replication queues (because maybe the vendor who helped us implement it did not implement it corectly)> 

Can you also point to a document that details exactly what's the right way to do it in code as well?

Level 9

leeasling is correct.  For storing page content in MongoDB see

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/deploy/platform/aem-with-mongodb.html

Notice, though, MongoDB is not recommended for publish environments.

MongoDB is used by Communities to create a common store for UGC.

- JK

Level 9

JK Kendall wrote...

leeasling is correct.  For storing page content in MongoDB see

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/deploy/platform/aem-with-mongodb.html

Notice, though, MongoDB is not recommended for publish environments.

MongoDB is used by Communities to create a common store for UGC.

- JK

May I know Why MongoDB is not recommended for the Publish environments?.

---

Jitendra

Level 9

Hi Jitendra,

Read the documentation on Recommended Deployments.  Performance may be a reason to prefer TarMK for the publish environment.

Using MongoDB as a common store for UGC (common to all publish and author instances) is separate from using MongoMK for the node store.

- JK