Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Primary and/or reconcilation key configuration for saveProfile action (Adobe Campaign integration)

Level 2

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to sync AEM with Adobe Campaign by using the "Adobe Campaign: Save Profile" action type. I'm working with AEM 6.0 SP3 and Adobe Campaign 6.1. For the moment new profile data is being submitted through the form as I can see the new records turning up in Adobe Campaign. The problem is now that I want to use the email field on the AEM form as a primary field or reconciliation key, resulting in only 1 record per unique email address in Campaign. This is currently not working as multiple records with the same email address are turning up in Campaign. Does anybody have an idea of how the Primary key and/or reconciliation key settings should be configured on both the AEM side and Campaign sides to have this functionality working? I tried both adding the primary key component as the hidden reconciliation component to my AEM form, but no luck. The AEM documentation does not seem to cover this specific topic very well.

Kind regards,

Simon

14 Replies

Level 2

Ok,

I seem to have found how the Encrypted Primary Key is working on the following page: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/author/personalization/adobe-campaign/adobe-campaign-forms.ht... a Form. However, I want to create/update profiles based on a reconciliation key only (for example the email address). Is this possible in one way or another?

Kind regards,

Simon

Level 1

Hi Simon

Which feature pack are you using? The Adobe Campaign integration should support the usage of a reconciliation key, but it is possible that you are hitting a bug. I will look into this and let you know when I find out more.

Best regards
Damien

Level 2

Hi Damien,

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I found out what the problem was. It seems AEM is really depending on the primary key linked to a campaign recipient. If this primary key (encrypted) is not defined in the url, the reconciliation key script will not properly retrieve the hidden value of the field set as reconciliation key (This is the hidden field with a name starting with 'original'). Because the reconciliation key is filled in based on this hidden field, the reconciliation keys are not forwarded to Adobe Campaign as such. My resolution is to adapt the script such that the hidden ':original:' field updates its value every time the main value of the input field changes.

Kind regards,

Simon

Level 2

I am using AEM 6.0 SP3, so the latest featurepack should be installed already. Unless a new one is released after SP3.

Level 1

Hi Simon

Thanks for your information. Indeed I can reproduce the same behaviour as you describe. To me this looks like a bug, as for this use case, the reconciliation key should be based on the user input, not the hidden original value. I will follow up on this and see if we can get this fixed.

Are you sure you are not using any feature packs? To my knowledge the functionality we are discussing is not available in a plain installation of AEM 6.0 + SP3.

Kind regards
Damien Obrist

Level 2

Hi Damien,

I am facing the exact same issue in aem 6.1 SP1 with the featurepack 6576 installed.

The primary key form element is present & configured, in combination with the primary key in the url, all the fields are prefilled as desired.
The reconcilidation key is set on the email-address, however, checking the action configuration on the form-start element 'create if non-existing' doesn't result in the desired adaptation of the pre-filled profile but in the creation of a new one, although the reconcilidation key has been set.

Do you have any update?

Kr,

Jochen Tombal

Level 1

Hi Damien,

I'm experiencing the same issue as Simon, except with the form's action type being "Adobe Campaign: Subscribe to services" instead of "Adobe Campaign: Save profile". I have included the Encrypted Primary Key component, as well as a Subscriptions Checklist component (see screenshot 1 attached). But, when I preview the form with my recipient's EPK as an URL parameter, the checkboxes are all unchecked, instead of being preloaded with whatever subscriptions the corresponding recipient has (screenshot 2 attached).

The link between AEM and Campaign works properly, since the same feature works fine for the "Save Profile" type of form for me ( the fields are filled with the recipient's information when the corresponding EPK is passed as a parameter).

If you know the way to make it work, or can confirm that this is a bug, that would be helpful.

The versions I use: AEM 6.2 / Adobe Campaign 6.1

Kind regards,

Martin Grihangne

Level 2

Hi Martin, Damien,

I am facing the exact same issue (empty checkboxes of the checklist component). Save profile works, submission of profile / subscribe & unsubscribe works.
I have looked further into the code and the checklist component seems to only get the service ID and the service Name. No call seems to be made to get information if the user is subscribed or not.
The only way I see to tackle this is to write custom code to make for each service a separate API call to campaign in order to see if the user is subscribed or not and check the checkbox accordingly.
But if there is another way, I would be most glad to hear it

(However I am working with AEM 6.1 SP1 and Adobe Standard Campaign.)

Kr,

Jochen

Level 1

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for you reply.

I reached that same conclusion, that the only solution is to write a custom component. This would also allow a single form to handle both subscribing and unsubscribing, by ticking or unticking boxes (which makes more sense to me).

I'm more of a Campaign developer than an AEM one, but I'm going to look into it in the next few days. I'll update you on this if successful.

Cheers,

Martin

Level 2

Hi Martin,

Can we exchange contact to support each other further in a more rapid way? I was already in the process of developing a custom component.
jochen.tombal@capgemini.com

Kr,

Jochen

Level 1

Hi Jochen and Martin

Apologies for my delayed response.

Jochen, regarding the problem with the reconciliation key, I assume you are using Adobe Campaign Standard? The approach you describe used to work with Adobe Campaign 6.1, however does not currently work with Adobe Campaign Standard. Setting "create if non-existing" in the form will unfortunately always result in the creation of a new profile when using Adobe Campaign Standard. This has been changed in Adobe Campaign, not sure why or if intentional, but essentially this breaks the reconcilation key functionality. I have raised the issue internally some time ago, but this hasn't been addressed yet.

Regarding the unchecked subscription checkboxes when prefilling a form with a user's data: this is the current expected behavior as this funtionality hasn't been implemented for the integration (refer to the note in the documentation [1]). Same for having a single form for both subscribing and unsubscribing. So you will indeed have to resort writing custom code.

HTH
Damien

[1] https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/author/personalization/adobe-campaign/adobe-campaign-componen... Checklist (Campaign)

Level 1

Hi Damien,

Thank you for your response.

I just wanted to mention that I have been experimenting heavily on the integration between AEM 6.2 and Campaign 6.1 and, even for this version of Campaign, the reconciliation key functionality doesn't work as expected, and a new recipient gets created in Campaign every time the form is submitted, regardless of whether the reconciliation key is matched or not. Submitting the form with an EPK works fine though, and updates the correct recipient.

Regarding the form, I will follow your advice (and Jochen's) to write a custom component to achieve the desired result.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Martin

Adobe Champion

Hi everyone,

I noticed that quite a few people mentioned that issue with Reconciliation Key and existing profiles being re-created on Adobe Campaign side. I was wondering if anyone got any updates from Adobe on this topic. Currently I can see the issue exists with AEM 6.3 and Adobe Campaign Standard.

Best regards & thank you in advance,

Kimon