Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Live Copy for DAM Assets?

Level 3

Hi All,

Is there a feature, similar to "live copy" for DAM assets?  I'm looking for a way to create a parent/child relationship between assets, where the "children" assets inherit from the "parent".  We are currently running AEM 5.6.1, but would be interested in new features that may exist on 6.0 or 6.1 as well.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Because of the unique way that AEM stores assets, if you have the exact same file in two locations in the repository, physically only 1 file is stored. The reason being, that each file has a unique SHA1 checksum, the checksum value is used to create a folder/file in the datastore[1]. In this way, you don't duplicate storage for the same file. If the file is modified in any way and uploaded again, only then will a new file in the datastore be created.

However, having a central DAM is always preferable as all instances of an asset will get updated at the same time, otherwise you have to update all nodes that pointed to the original file, which can become inefficient and error prone.

Regards,

Opkar

[1]https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/core/administering/persistence_managers.html

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Employee Advisor

What functional use case you are trying to implement when you say that there should be parent child relationship between assets ?  

Level 10

Upgrade to aem 6.1 & you can use dam assets for msm. Otherwise request a feature pack request for earlier version, 

Level 10

As of now, I believe livecopy is supported only for the page type and you cannot create it for assets

Level 3

The use case is to support regional variations of a website.  

For instance, we're proposing a "global" website structure, which is live-copied to multiple regional structures (ie, "spain", "italy", etc).

The DAM structure would be similar: 

company > global > product > asset1

company > italy > product > asset1

company > spain > product > asset1

In many cases the same assets are re-used in multiple regions. So, we'd like to be able to add/update an asset 
in 1 global location, and have it copied down to multiple regional locations automatically.

Level 3

Thanks Sham,

Can you quickly summarize how the feature works in 6.1?  (Or point me to documentation if it exists?)  Are you aware if a feature pack exists for 5.6.1, or if that is something that would need to be developed?

Level 10

Then you are actually duplicating the assets .. Instead you can use asset1 across geo from global itself or upload it something like company > product > asset1 and refer across. 

Level 10

Sounds there is some confusion here. Top contributors like opkar, loki & jorg are saying not there.  Example for AEM 6 there is a feature pack "cq-6.0.0-featurepack-5931" & when i looked into aem 6.1 the feature did not go through.  I am short of time to investigate & provide exact answer what is going on. Can you please file a support ticket to track this out? 

Employee Advisor

Hi,

As far as I know there is no "MSM for DAM" available right now (also not in 6.1). Please raise a feature request on Daycare.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 3

Yes, we do realize it is duplication.  But, would like to have the sites self-contained this way.  

Level 10

In that case, it needs to copy/paste or upload again.. I dont think there is a concept of livecopy on assets

Correct answer by
Employee

Because of the unique way that AEM stores assets, if you have the exact same file in two locations in the repository, physically only 1 file is stored. The reason being, that each file has a unique SHA1 checksum, the checksum value is used to create a folder/file in the datastore[1]. In this way, you don't duplicate storage for the same file. If the file is modified in any way and uploaded again, only then will a new file in the datastore be created.

However, having a central DAM is always preferable as all instances of an asset will get updated at the same time, otherwise you have to update all nodes that pointed to the original file, which can become inefficient and error prone.

Regards,

Opkar

[1]https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/core/administering/persistence_managers.html

Employee Advisor

in case you are still interested, in AEM 6.4.4 and 6.5.2 (not sure about the exact version), MSM for DAM is supported.