Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

List Variables in Adobe Analytics

Level 1

Hi! List Variables in Adobe Analytics are created in the following way -

1. Go to Analytics > Admin > Report Suites
  2. Select the report suite.
  3. Click Edit Settings > Conversion > List Variables .

How will a custom data element be mapped to this list variable?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume that you're referring to a data element that you've setup in AEP Data Collection Tags, a.k.a. Adobe Launch.

When you had setup your List Variable in AA's report suite, you had to specify a separator. The default is the comma ",".

Let's say you are using that default comma. Your data element should then return a string where the values are comma-separated, for example, "one,two,three", which you will then set to your list variable.

Example:

• Let's say you want to track to List Variable 1.
  • Your data element is called "the important list". It will, for example, return a value "one,two,three".
  • Then in your AA Set Variables action, you can write this in custom code: s.list1 = _satellite.getVar("the important list")

In the above example, s.list1 will get the value "one,two,three". Since List Variable 1 had been configured to recognise the comma as the separator, AA will split that value into "one", "two" and "three", i.e. 3 separate values. If you were to then create a Freeform Table with List Variable 1 as the dimension, you will see three separate rows, one each for "one", "two" and "three".

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume that you're referring to a data element that you've setup in AEP Data Collection Tags, a.k.a. Adobe Launch.

When you had setup your List Variable in AA's report suite, you had to specify a separator. The default is the comma ",".

Let's say you are using that default comma. Your data element should then return a string where the values are comma-separated, for example, "one,two,three", which you will then set to your list variable.

Example:

• Let's say you want to track to List Variable 1.
  • Your data element is called "the important list". It will, for example, return a value "one,two,three".
  • Then in your AA Set Variables action, you can write this in custom code: s.list1 = _satellite.getVar("the important list")

In the above example, s.list1 will get the value "one,two,three". Since List Variable 1 had been configured to recognise the comma as the separator, AA will split that value into "one", "two" and "three", i.e. 3 separate values. If you were to then create a Freeform Table with List Variable 1 as the dimension, you will see three separate rows, one each for "one", "two" and "three".

Hope that helps!