Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Inputting asterisk in a RTE

Level 1

Since * is used on RTE component to make text bold, is there a way to escaping it so that it can be used in text. In text * usually means that there's a footnote about that topic, so it make sense to be able to use that character.

9 Replies

Level 10

You can use * character in a RTE. When you submit the text - the * character appears in text.

Level 1

No it doesn't work. What happens is that the RTE component thinks is the start of text that needs to be in bold, so every text after the * appears in bold and the * is not shown.

Level 10

Using Core Text Component here:

RTEAAa.png

Output --

RTEAA.png

What version of AEM are you using and what components - libs, core?

Level 1

If I use only one * in the text it works. But if there are 2 *, then component renders the text between as bold. And the *'s are not shown anymore.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 12.54.19 PM.png

Renders like:

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 12.54.34 PM.png

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you check what values are store in JCR property when you submit dialog.

Arun Patidar

Level 1

Good point: I checked the value in the JCR, is still stored as an * but because of this I now think I know what's the issue. Thanks

Community Advisor

Hi,

I tried in new AEM 6.4.0 and not able to replicate the issue. Tried 4 different ways. What is the version of AEM you are using ?

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 12.37.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 12.36.52 PM.png

Level 10

No one within Adobe whom i have spoken too can reproduce this issue, Can you see if this can be re-produced on your end in a fresh AEM instance. 

Level 10

If you keep getting this - customer care asked that you open a support ticket.