Expand my Community achievements bar.

Image Reference Modification Servlet for All Images

Level 3

We have an image heavy site we are wanting to optimize.  I've read through this page:

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/mobile-web/responsive.html.  My designers like the Image Reference Modification Servlet because it crops the images instead of resizing.  The Geometrixx example targets the page property image, but can this be used for all images?  Or would that be too much and cause the site to be slower?

3 Replies

Level 10

That sounds like a lot of load on the server and would impact performance. However - lets see what other community members say.

Also - if using AEM 6.3 and images - you should look at using the Core Image component --

aem-core-wcm-components/content/src/content/jcr_root/apps/core/wcm/components/image/v1/image at mast...

Level 3

Thanks for the response.  That was my assumption.

We are on AEM 6.2.

Looking at the documentation for the Core Image component, it still seems to use a URL with just the width attribute and therefore would not take height into account.  It would just scale at the different breakpoints?  Or am I misunderstanding?

If we want cropping instead of resizing at each breakpoint, should that be done with rendtions?  If so, is there an out of the box way to crop renditions as part of the upload workflow instead of resizing them?

Community Advisor

I have not tried , but I know some projects which uses ImageMagick as an option .