Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How appropriate it is to use SAML_login with AEM with more than 1m users?

Level 1

I am investigating a slow login time and some profile synchronisation problems of a large enterprise AEM project. The system has around 1.5m users. And the website is served by 10 publishers.

The way this project is built, is that they have enabled the SAML_login for all these end-users and there is a third party IDP which I assume SAML_login talks to. I'm no expert on this SSO - SAML_login processes, so I'm trying to understand if this is the correct way to go at the first step.

Because of this setup and the number of users, SAML_login call takes 15 seconds on avarage. This is getting unacceptable day by day as the user count rises. And even more importantly, the synchronization between the 10 publishers are failing occasionally, hence some of the users sometimes can't use the system as they are expected to.

Because the users are stored in the JCR for SAML_login, you cannot even go and check the home/users folder from crx browser. It times out as it is impossible to show 1.5m rows at once. And my educated guess is, that's why the SAML_login call is taking so long.

I've come accross with articles that tells how to setup SAML_login on AEM, and this makes it sound legal for what it is used in this case. But in my opinion this is the worst setup ever as JCR is not a well designed quick access data store for this kind of usage scenarios.

My understanding so far is that this approach might work well but with only limited number of users, but with this many of users, it is an inapplicable solution approach. So my first question would be: Am I right?

If I'm not right, there is certainly a bottleneck somewhere which I'm not aware of yet, what can be that bottleneck to improve upon?

0 Replies