Expand my Community achievements bar.

Hostnames during installation

Level 1

During installation of AEM, Author and Publisher both , there are 2 locations to input a hostname and port for Author(including replication setting in Author dialogue box) and Publisher

We have typically set these as the shortname for the server we are installing the software onto.

Can we just use localhost at that point, instead of a server shortname? Since we keep both Author and publisher on the same server, it seems that setting might be irrelevant? 

Also are those two dialogue boxes only for use with replication? Or can they be changed in the UI somewhere?

3 Replies

Level 1

Just tested this, on a clean install and I see that replication still works. I know AC does not use the CQ shortname at all, only the FQDN so I doubt I would ever need to use the shortname unless I am setting author and publish on separate servers.

Level 9

Hi Michael,

For local development & testing it works. In case you are planning to set up for other envirnoments like dev, qa, ....  for collobration. I would recommend to avoid same host & instead use different host name.   Reason being cookie are set at domain level & does not consider port so always recommend to use different host names for each environment.

Thanks,

Level 1

So, even though only 1 env. will ever access the host, the windows shortname is used in the cookie? I would have thought the external URL was used in the cookie instead which is not affected by any of this use case.

We do not share CQ between environments -- one per installation, so DEV/ Stage/ Prod do not overlap on the same system -- and in a properly segragated environment, thats the proper case. 

I would happily reset it from localhost, if I could find out how to access the API calls -- and which one is used to set that property. However that documentation is lacking in examples on how to access the API from a URI call. If there is a strong reason not to use localhost for replication efforts, I would happily make those changes. I am going through testing now still and if I find any issues I will add them here and make changes to my installation.