Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Experience Fragments "Variations" Use Cases

Level 6

There's not much documentation on the use cases on when we will actually use Experience Fragment Variations.

Can someone give me some examples on when is a best time when Variations are being used?

• is this used for Locales?
  • is this used for Translations?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sharing a use case I am aware of. If you have different site sections or locations that point to same experience fragment, in that case variations can be created  in case there is a need to make some change that the other pages using the same XF do not need.

For eg:

XF1 is used by two article pages content/project/en/locationorsection1/page1 and content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1.Say the XF1 has three rte components displaying some information and both pages are pointing to that.

If there is a need that content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1 needs an addition of another image somewhere on the XF1, then a variation can be made for XF1 and content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1 can point to that variation.

Similarly if another article or any page needs to point to XF1 with some variation that variation can be created. Instead of creating separate XF which is just a copy of XF1 with some minor changes.

So I think Locales is a candidate for using XFs with variations. Like for different countries pages are pointing to an XF but for some locations a variation is needed, then this use case can be followed. Translations can be thought through for above use cases..

Can you also go through - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/experience-fragments/experien... It talks about using variations for social media pinterest vs facebook variation and more

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sharing a use case I am aware of. If you have different site sections or locations that point to same experience fragment, in that case variations can be created  in case there is a need to make some change that the other pages using the same XF do not need.

For eg:

XF1 is used by two article pages content/project/en/locationorsection1/page1 and content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1.Say the XF1 has three rte components displaying some information and both pages are pointing to that.

If there is a need that content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1 needs an addition of another image somewhere on the XF1, then a variation can be made for XF1 and content/project/en/locationorsection2/page1 can point to that variation.

Similarly if another article or any page needs to point to XF1 with some variation that variation can be created. Instead of creating separate XF which is just a copy of XF1 with some minor changes.

So I think Locales is a candidate for using XFs with variations. Like for different countries pages are pointing to an XF but for some locations a variation is needed, then this use case can be followed. Translations can be thought through for above use cases..

Can you also go through - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/experience-fragments/experien... It talks about using variations for social media pinterest vs facebook variation and more

Employee Advisor

We have used variations for achieving single source of truth for content for multi-channel options.

For example, a help FAQ content for a contact information can have different channel variations - retail, digital, support etc. 

Another example is having a help content for desktop and mobile for a product information. Mobile help content tends to be smaller due to the screensize but we like to have a central source for product information in CMS.

hope this helps!