Bulk Editor has been around with since a long time. It has been a useful tool for making mass edits to node/resource properties.
However, the OOTB Bulk editor implementation is a legacy one, based on classic UI. Also, from a functionality standpoint as well, there are some limitations: 1. Import-Export of data is not available: OOTB Bulk Editor supports exporting the search results in the form of a TSV file. However, there is no way to update the properties and import it back in AEM.
2. Absence of mechanism to add new properties: There is no way to add new properties in the OOTB Bulk Editor.
3. Legacy Query Language for search: OOTB Bulk Editor supports GQL for searching.
4. Absence of interactive shell: OOTB Bulk Editor doesn’t come with an interactive shell for updating the properties without import-export mechanism.
I have been working on developing a Touch UI Based implementation of the aforesaid concept, aiming to fill the aforesaid gaps. I have able to come up with a bleeding edge version. The new touch ui based implementation comes with following features :
1. Support for different query Language : JCR SQL 2, XPATH & Query Builder Map.
2. Export - Import based data update
3. Interactive shell for updating the properties.
The Tool comes with a tabbed layout. There are 3 tabs:
1. Search Tab : This tab enables the users to enter a search query in a query language of their choice and export the results in the form of an Excel spreadsheet.
2. Import Tab: The users can do bulk updates to the content by updating the spreadsheet downloaded in the previous tab and then uploading it.
3. Update Tab: This tab enables the users to update the content nodes corresponding to a query with actually downloading the content.
I have prepared a video recording showing the teaser of the functionality. Please have a look: