Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Can Workflows be used to performance tune a page - after a user has replicated it to publish?

Level 1

Is it possible for a workflow (or some other tool / technique) that performs tasks against a page after an author replicates it to publish?   I ask since we would like to performance tune our pages with linting the code,  package images into a sprite, etc... etc... however, what I'm reading up on workflows doesn't look like it matches up with what we intend to do here.     

Thank you in advance!!

~Brian Liddle

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Why do you want to pack images into spries? For me it only makes sense for the small graphics, which are used very often; and these are normally "hardcoded" on the page and are not authored, they rather belong to the design of a page; and therefor you should optimize it already on development/build time, but not on runtime.

So there should never be a need to tune a page; when you see the need for it, you should rather change your processes or your code.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 10

@jorg has rightly mentioned, all of these initial tuning of spriting the required images, minification etc should be done during the development stage. Performance is more of a offline activity before go live and not sure how well it could be handled at runtime !

Level 1

Our proof of concept is showing dramatic savings (25%) of overall load times if we simply sprite our images.   So clearly there's room for improvement here. 

Level 1

Also, there are many things that we would like to do at this step, Spriting is just one of them.   So is this feasible to do? 

Employee Advisor

Why don't you create the sprites in your build process? And of course there are a number of ways to improve frontend-performance, AEM is not different from other webapps in this area.

kind regards,
Jörg