Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can we use content fragments for menu items on header ?

Level 4

I am working on showing some menu items on the header of a page. You have a hamburger icon on the header and once we click on that we are going to open a model with the list of items where a customer can navigate to. This will be on every page of the website and I want to make these items accessible for authors to edit. Can I create a content fragment and add these list of items to the fragment using a rich text editor and refer that content fragment in all the pages (or include that fragment within the page template)? In that way moving forward if I add a new item it will be reflected across all the pages. I am looking for a standard way to implement it.

6 Replies

Level 10

The new way is to use editable templates and add a header there - along with setting an image in the header, etc. Then every page that is based on that editable template will have that header show up. However - typically a header is locked down in an editable template and not allowed to be manipulated by the author.

However this can also be editable by setting the policy in the editable template. 

Level 4

Yes I even thought about this. But all our templates been have developed long time back which are static ones. I need to make changes to these existing templates itself. I am also looking into developing a component with design dialogs  for this requirement.

Level 10

Creating a custom component that has a dialog with an image field that lets an author change the logo will work too. See this article where we have a Banner (header) that lets you change the logo. This will help you...

Creating an Experience Manager Responsive Banner Component

Hope this helps...

Level 9

Hi,

The content fragment is not mean to be used everywhere. however yes you can use it in the logo as well. The content fragment is a peace of common content and provides a flexibility to avoid the same content in multiple places.

The site Logo would be authored once but what if you have multiple brand sites and every site may have a different logo design. You end of creating multiple content fragment.

In my view, A better way is to have a simple logo component which is changed based on the site context.

I hope this helps.

Level 4

Are you saying to use an editable template and drag and drop the logo component within that editable template?

I was also looking into design dialogs. Create a component with a design dialog and include that within the page. In that way if I add a new items it gets reflected on the header of all the pages which has same template.

Level 9

Yes Custom component with two option: design dialog or inheritance.