Expand my Community achievements bar.

Authoring in production?

Level 1

Hi,

I recently found out members of our team are authoring in production, rather than in QA or staging. The reason is that apparently they're not able to deploy/roll out their authored work from staging to production. It's an effort to avoid duplicate work since if it gets approved in staging, they would need to re-do the edits in production rather than push them live.

Does anyone know of a solid way for someone making text/image updates to keep all changes in staging until ready to deploy to production? It seems like there must be a better way.

Thanks!

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

The recommended way is to do authoring activities in PROD. There runs the content authoring and the approval.

You have the staging environment as test environment; its purpose shouldn't be a prod2, where the content is entered.

Jörg

Community Advisor

I totally agree with Jorg. PROD author is the env for authors to edit content. If you want the reviewers to have full control over the content before even it gets published , you should put in place workflows and each content activation should be run through a workflow. Basically once the workflow is triggered, it should sent a mail to the reviewers and unless the content is approved by them , it should not be pushed to publish (replicate).

Thanks

Veena

Level 1

Can workflow's be built out for non-technical people to review content? The hope is to have them preview a link on how the content will appear and be able to approve it from there (in AEM or over email). Having them log onto the AEM instance to approve and review isn't going to happen.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

There is no other way to achieve approval than to login (except building it on your own).

The only solution I see is to make it as simple as possible. That means:

• SSO, so a deep link into AEM will lead you directly to the page, which should get approval.
  • In edit mode there should be a blue bar at the top of the page, which allows you as approver to either approve or reject.

That's the path you should choose, and which is in-line with the way the product should be used.

Jörg

Level 1

Do you have additional documentation on approval process? Trying to find the most efficient way for a non-technical or C-level employee to approve content without having to login and seeing the site in a "staging" like environment.