Expand my Community achievements bar.

Asset Subcategories

Level 1

Is it possibile to add Categories & Subcategories to assets?

We are trying to figure out a way to organize uploaded Documnets (assets).

What we want to be able to do is the following:

A Person uploads a file,

now that person can choose which category this file belongs to, for example via a dropdown list in the metadata.

And now we want AEM to let the user/admin choose a subcategory BASED on the category that he chose before.

So far we had no luck figuring this out.

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Its possible to handle it in multiple ways. Simple and straight forward approach is to add categories and sub-categories as 'tags' and you can use that for your business logic

else, if you want to add a new metadata field to take the input, refer [1] to see how to add metadata property

[1] https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/dam/how_to_edit_metadata.html#Creating New Metadata Property for Assets

Level 10

Hi Yannick,

In order or organize your assets properly, AEM provides a simple and effective way to do this via adding Tags as a metadata to every assets.

Please see completed documentation @ https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/wcm/tag_admin.html 

Level 1

Thank you guys for your replies.

My problem with tags is the following:

If I have main category A & main category B.

Main category A has Subcategories A1, A2, A3

Main category B has Subcategories B1, B2, B

So now I want ONLY items which belong to Category A to belong to Subcategories A1 etc.

So when I add an item to Category B (or no Category at all), Subcategories A1, A2, or A3 should not be appearing at all.

Is this really possibile with tags?

Thank you in advance

Level 10

Its like, you add the categories (tags) which you feel that asset belongs to, so other categories will not be appearing there !

Level 1

But limit certain folders to certain tags, that is not possibile right?

So even if I add an item to folder A, I'll still be able to give it Tag "B1", for example.

Level 10

Yes right, but using tag will organize you content in proper way.

What you said currently So even if I add an item to folder A, I'll still be able to give it Tag "B1", ,

can be achieved by customizing AEM default behavior by this I mean, If Tag A is already added and user is trying to add Tag B, you should restrict it via code.