I have two simple sites on CQ 5.5. My plan is to move to AEM 6.3. Instead of upgrading the repository etc. (in place upgrade), my plan is to package the content and assets from 5.5 and deploy it on fresh new instance of AEM 6.3 (lift and shift). Do you see any challenges with this?
There will be many issues in directly creating packages and deploying them to aem 6.3-
1. There could be content nodes which might have names with special characters those will be removed while installing , you might loose huge amount of content as in previous version those node names was not a issue.
2. On installing the dam package huge number of workflows will get triggered which will cause high load on servers.
3. Users and groups permissions might be difficult to package but in place upgrade will solve these issues.
4. Installing packages will take huge amount of time, in place upgrade will be too fast.
5. We migrated from aem 5.6 to aem 6.2 we tried creating packages and installing it over we faced many issues.
6. Anyways pom & code needs to be updated in any case