Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

AEM 6.2 to 6.4 In-Place upgrade

Level 2

Hi,

We are running AEM 6.2 Oak 1.4.15 with DataStore architecture (with customized code base) and planning to in-place upgrade to AEM 6.4.

I have been going through Adobe article Performing an In-Place Upgrade and performed steps till Pre-upgrade optimization.

Post that, am facing difficulties in consolidating the flow of implementation. If anyone has successfully upgraded from AEM 6.2 to AEM 6.4, can you please share the steps that I can try it from our end?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vishnu

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Vishnu - Can you let me know if there is a specific step you need more info on?

Basically, Steps are:-

- Run Pre-Upgrade Steps.

- Unpack the 6.4 jar

- Migrate the repository

- Run the upgrade.

Level 2

Jai - Thank you for the reply.

Can you please provide more info on Step 2,3 & 4?

Unpack 6.4 jar - is this cq-quickstart-6.4.0.jar?

Migrate the repo - Which jar file to be used? We don't use MongoDB or S3 for Datastore.

Command --> java -Xmx4096m -jar aem-quickstart.jar -v -x crx2oak -xargs -- --load-profile segment-fds --src-datastore=crx-quickstart/repository/datastore

Run the upgrade - Provide reference article

Regards,

Vishnu

Level 9

Hi,

There is a complete guide to upgrading AEM higher versions. Read couple of Adobe docs.

Upgrading to AEM 6.4

This document is a very good one.

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-4/sites/deploying/user-guide.html

Migrate the repo - Which jar file to be used? We don't use MongoDB or S3 for Datastore.

Ans: it depends on your preference and needs. MongoDB or S3 are not recommended storage for production server but it totally depends on your application need.

Level 2

Hi,

In the step of "Determining the correct upgrade start command" on the below article, it is mentioned as Modify the command by replacing the path to the existing jar (crx-quickstart/app/aem-quickstart*.jar in this case) with the new jar that is a sibling of the crx-quickstart folder.

Performing an In-Place Upgrade

Can you let me know which need JAR file reference need to be updated?

• Completed till Repository Migration step
  • During upgrade, I tried to start the instance by including the cq-quickstart-6.4.0.jar file, but getting below error, and AEM process refused to start.

Exception in thread "CQWorkflowStatisticsService-Processor" java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.day.cq.workflow.impl.ServiceLoginUtil.createWorkflowServiceSession(ServiceLoginUtil.java:52)

at com.day.cq.workflow.impl.statistics.CQWorkflowStatisticsService.getWorkflowSession(CQWorkflowStatisticsService.java:283)

at com.day.cq.workflow.impl.statistics.CQWorkflowStatisticsService.processEvent(CQWorkflowStatisticsService.java:221)

at com.day.cq.workflow.impl.statistics.CQWorkflowStatisticsService$EventProcessor.run(CQWorkflowStatisticsService.java:206)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

22.08.2018 22:44:42.145 *INFO * [Sling Notifier] Apache Sling has been stopped

Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile crx-quickstart/

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=320m; support was removed in 8.0

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 25602

Loading quickstart properties: default

Loading quickstart properties: instance

org.apache.commons.cli2.OptionException: Unexpected start while processing Use these options on the Quickstart command line.

at org.apache.commons.cli2.commandline.Parser.parse(Parser.java:99)

at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Main.<init>(Main.java:594)

at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Main.main(Main.java:981)

Quickstart: aborting

Can anyone check and provide inputs?

Regards,Vishnu

Level 2

Hi,

I have managed to bring up the instance using the JAR file crx-quickstart/app/cq-quickstart-6.4.0-load22b-standalone-quickstart.jar.

I could see CRXDE and Felix console coming up, but not any other consoles. Can you please guide me on the next steps?

Regards,

Vishnu

Employee Advisor

After pre upgrade steps

1. place the 6.4 jar from package share in the same path as 6.2 jar. Delete the 6.2 jar.

2. run 'java -Xmx4096m -jar aem-quickstart.jar -unpack

3. I replaced crx2oak in /crx-quickstart//opt/extensions with latest version of it.

4. ran content migration in local using java -Xmx4096m -jar aem-quickstart.jar -v -x crx2oak -xargs -- --load-profile segment-custom-ds

5. execute upgrade by java -jar aem-quickstart.jar -r author,nosamplecontent,crx3,crx3tar,crx3tar-nofds -p4502 (crx3tar-nofds as its segment store for me and aem by default set as filestore