We are about to institute an integrator server for selling subscriptions ourselves. Is that documentation still good with this new version? When will Newsstand go away and how will that change things with subscriptions?
Also, it appears that you can create collections(folios) for Android and Windows with DPS 2015. Who is supporting Android and windows subscriptions? Can you set those up with a year subscription or will it still be selling individual magazines?
Also, what is involved with migrating existing folios from DPS14 to DPS15?
I will try to breakdown your questions:
1) When Apple's Newsstand goes away, all Newsstand apps will become standalone apps. This does not affect any functionality related to subscriptions. You can launch a non-Newsstand app today and have Free or Paid subscriptions in your app.
2) With DPS 2015 we will carry over the same retail options as previously available - i.e. you can sell a single "issue" where issue is equal to a collection. You can also offer renewable subscriptions that will entitle a purchaser to content that has been published during their subscription timeframe.
3) In addition to the standard subscription options we will also give you the capability of offering "All Access Subscriptions" similar to a Netflix or Spotify membership approach. In this scenario a user would pay for the all access subscription and gain access to all content previously published and all content published in the future as long as they remain a paying subscriber. Once they stop paying they loose their access.
4) Direct Entitlement is still a feature in DPS 2015. This allows you to entitle "print subscribers" or sell subscriptions through your website.
5) Article metering is available in DPS 2015 - This feature allows you to give users free access to a number of articles until a paywall threshold is reached. This is similar to NYTimes and other paywall news sites.
6) Android and Windows subscriptions are coming soon, but will not be available at launch.
The setting for Subscription Type (Standard or All Access) is set/managed by Adobe -- you'll find this setting in the 'Products & Subscriptions' area of the new DPS portal. From the Apple perspective, you create your subscription product IDs the same way (no special setting). Enter the same subscription product ID in the DPS portal and choose your subscription type.
Re: the question of offering two different subscriptions "Red" and "Blue" in the same application with different content mapped to each subscription ... this is not currently supported. It is possible to offer a Standard Subscription and an All Access subscription in the same app. It is also possible to honor existing Standard subscriptions without offering Standard subscriptions to new users (e.g. existing users continue with the standard subscription; new users can only purchase all access)
Geheimtipp: Melden Sie sich hier <http://www.weloveyou.ch/newsletter/> für
unseren E-Newsletter an und geniessen Sie frische WeLoveYou-News,
nützliches Expertenwissen und aktuelle Infos rund um unsere Schulungen.
If you use an all-access subscription and your subscription expires you'll still be able to read anything that is locally stored on the device. However, once that content is removed you can't re-download it without paying for a new all-access subscription or (if offered) doing a single-item purchase for the relevant collection. This is very similar to how the various streaming music/movie services work.
Marking content for explicit offline use (Haeme's "reliable offline use" case) is something on our roadmap but will not be available at launch.
Ivan, a question about this: "Once they stop paying they loose their access."
What does this mean for already downloaded content? Will it be removed from the device? Are they still able to download already downloaded content on another device (same user ID)?
All access subscriptions are very interesting. Can you offer more than one subscription? To use Colin's examples, Subscription Red gives you access to all of the Red content, Subscription Blue gives you access to all of the Blue Content, etc. etc. ?