Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

What do I do with the Signed IPA File once I have it?

Level 2

I have gone through all the steps to produce a Signed IPA. now what? What do I need it for?

7 Replies

Employee

The IPA file is the application that you install on your iOS device. You can drag it into iTunes, then attach your device and sync.

Employee

There are many different ways you can load the development app on your device.

Method 1: iTunes

If you sync your device using iTunes, this is straight-forward. It's basically the same way you add movies or music. Apple's instructions are here:

Exporting Your App for Testing (iOS, watchOS)

See the section called "Installing your app on test devices."

Method 2: Xcode

This is the method I use. It works well with any iOS device, even if the device is synced to a different computer.

1. If you have not already done so, install Xcode from the Apple developer site.

2. Attach your device to your computer. On the device, select the trust option if prompted.

3. Launch Xcode, and choose Window > Devices (or press Cmd+Shift+2).

4. Select the device on the left side, and then drag and drop the signed .ipa file into the Xcode window.

There are other methods as well.

Employee Advisor

+1 on the Xcode install. I like it. It's fast and will give you additional information if the install fails for some reason. Also works well with iOS devices that are not linked/sync'd to your computer.

Level 6

Agreed that Xcode is fast and easy, but only if you are the only one needing to view your app. Usually, when I create an app, it needs to be previewed by a team (myself, creative director, art director, project manager, and client), so diawi.com is a quick and easy way to get to everyone with one quick and easy link.

I haven't tried iFunbox yet. I'll look into that one! thanks Ivan!

Level 6

Method 3: Diawi.com

The method we use at Bates Creative is fast and easy. DIAWI.com (Development iOS Apps Wireless Installation) is a free service to iOS App developers that allows you to upload and install to your wireless device through wifi!

Go to http://www.DIAWI.com

Drag and Drop your Signed App into the App Drop area

Click Send: This generates a unique URL that you can distribute to everyone on your App Provisions List that you set up on the iOS developer site

Email the link, or retype it into Safari on your mobile device

Click the link... Click install. Launch your app.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy