Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Preview DPS on desktop web viewer?

Level 2

How does someone preview their overlays on the desktop? It was mentioned that there would be a Web Viewer. Is that out yet?

21 Replies

Level 4

We do not currently have a web viewer available with DPS 2015, but we are working on it.

Thanks,

Vikas

Employee

If you are running Windows 8.1 or 10 you can build a Windows preview version of your app and use that.

Neil

Employee

Hi Sandee,

It’s pretty easy. In the Apps tab make a Windows app instead of an iOS app. Use whatever image you want for all of the image assets, you don’t even have to resize them (App Builder will resize them for you).

Some of the fields on the General tab can be a bit confusing, but since you aren’t submitting this to the store you can put in fake info. For publisher display name put in anything you want. For publisher ID use CN=testing. For main package identity name use something like com.yourcomanyname.yourappname.

Make sure you select the “Enable preview” checkbox!

Neil

Level 2

Hi Neil,

Apps tab? App builder? General tab?

I'm working in InDesign applying effects using the Overlays panel.

I don't think we're talking about the same thin.

Level 6

Sandee, Neil is alluding to the fact that there are no viewers for DPS 2015 unless you create one yourself.

Without an Apple Developer account iOS is out of the question but you can build and install a Windows 8.1/10 app and use that since it doesn't require any certificates.

Level 2

Bob,

OK, let's pretend I am a ten year old trying to do this for the first time.

I open InDesign on Windows 10.

I create an MSO with several images.

I  select the MSO.

I set it to Slideshow in the Overlays panel.

Now, what do I do to build a Windows app?

What command?

What panel?

Where is the App tab? The App Builder? The General Tab?

I don't have any of those things.

And I don't see them if I choose File > Export > DPS Article

Level 6

You need to do this through the DPS dashboard. There’s an on line app builder there.

Are you in the beta for the new DPS?

Level 2

I'm not in the beta for the new DPS. I thought it was released last week.

Do I need to have an Enterprise DPS subscription (or whatever $$$ name they give it)?

And where would the DPS Dashboard be?

Remember Bob, I'm an idiot ten year old trying to do this for the first time

Level 6

I will never equate you with the word idiot, Sandee, no matter how hard you try.

Employee

Hi Sandee,

I suggest you follow our getting started guide at Get started with Digital Publishing Solution | Adobe Digital Publishing Solution tutorials. There's videos that walk you through everything, start to finish, including sample assets. When you get to the part where you have to build an app to preview the content build the Windows version instead of the iOS version. The steps are similar.

You'll need a trial account to complete the tutorial. You can sign up for the trial account at https://trial.publish.adobe.com/.

Neil

Level 3

Hi,

I think one easier workflow is use CC2014 and preview in Adobe Content Viewer. Once the Overlays is the same you can preview ACV and export to .article

The best from DPS Classic and DPS 2015

Regards

Employee Advisor

Sandee - I'll second Felipe's comment. If you want to quickly iterate and test your InDesign based interactivity, your best bet at this point is to use Adobe Content Viewer either through the desktop preview tool or through your device plugged in via USB.

We do not have the exact equivalent of an Adobe Content Viewer for DPS 2015 yet. If you have developer certificates for Apple or Android you can create a DPS 2015 app with "Preview mode" enabled. The preview apps are great for showing you exactly how content will behave in your production app and where it will be published on the application's grid layout. The drawback is that you would need to re-upload your article each time you made a change that you are looking to preview.

Level 2

Hi Ivan,

I have a an Apple Developer account iOS. And I finish the setup on the DPS beta with my adobe id. I have the iPad plug in the computer, but I dont see the launch icon after I plug... I am missing a step. I plugged all the certificate number on the DBS beta too. It all must be ok... I just want to preview in the ipad or iphone to get the money from the highrack manage here at the company to start implement this at our studio.

Can you help?

Employee Advisor

Take a look at page 49 of this guide: https://beta.stage01.publish.adobe.com/resources/dps_beta_userguide.pdf

You need to create the app, sign the app with the signing tool and then install the app on your device using Xcode or other means.

Level 2

wow! I doesnt go. I went to all steps until I reached Sign and install the iOS test app.
I Installed and launched the DPS 2015 App Signing Tool, selected iOS, specify files and information, and signed the app.
Nothing on Itunes
I got the xcode add to member center and nothing.

It seems like I can see the launch icon to add the app on the iPad device or iTunes

Employee Advisor

OK so you have the signed app. Then you.

1) Launch Xcode

2) Under the Window menu select Devices

3) You should see your device if it is connected at the top left in the list

4) Click on your device. In the right panel of the window you will see device information at the top and a list of Dev apps installed below

5) Hit the + sign under the "installed apps" section on the right panel

6) Select the SIGNED version of your .ipa

DONE

Level 2

thank you Ivan. I had some version update problems but at least I can see the app.

Level 2

So without Adobe Content Viewer, there's not an "easy" way to share what used to be called folios with other users, right? In DPS Classic, I could share a folio to my boss's Adobe ID and he could view it on his iPad. What's the replacement workflow? A beta app shared (how?)?