Expand my Community achievements bar.

PDFs as Articles: PDF Options - Fit one full page to screen

Level 6

This past Tuesday, Adobe introduced the option to upload a PDF file directly within the Dashboard as a content file!  That's AWESOME!!! Congratulations. However, I'm having some issues with the current implementation:

Seems as though the option "Fit one full page to screen" has no effect on the uploaded file. I've uploaded a horizontal formatted PDF - NON fit to page, a vertical PDF - NON fit to page, a horizontal Fit to page PDF and a vertical fit to page PDF. Yet, ALL of the uploaded documents fit the entire document within one screen.  This is truly unfortunate, and renders the option useless for vertically oriented PDFs to be included in an landscape formatted app, as well as horizontally formatted PDFs within a portrait formatted app.  IF the "Fit one full page to screen" check box, when UNchecked,  allowed the PDF to fit the width of the target device, this PDF option would be great!  Spectacular even. However, in it's current implementation, if you try zooming in on a vertical PDF within a landscape document, the pillar boxing does not change and you are left with a narrow column of cropped text. 

PLEASE fix the "Fit one full page to screen" option so that when it IS NOT checked, the PDF fills the width (or height) of the target device!

Thank you!

Tommy

2 Replies

Level 6

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE OBSERVATION!!!

Upon further testing on additional devices, the function is working as requested.  I'll need to see what was causing the display bug on my initial test device.

Thank you!

Tommy

Level 6

Report of Further Findings in testing the new Article from PDF within Dashboard feature:

4 articles were created and tested across 4 devices:

Articles:

1 Horizontal PDF - Full Page UNCHECKED

1 Vertical PDF - Full Page UNCHECKED

1 Horizontal PDF - Full Page CHECKED - Horizontal Swipe CHECKED

1 Vertical PDF - Full Page CHECKED

Devices:

iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.2 - AEMM Preflight 2016.7 (d0f2d81)

iPhone 6+ iOS 9.2.1 - AEMM Preflight 2016.7 (d0f2d81)

iPad Mini  iOS 9.3.1 - AEMM Preflight 2016.7 (d0f2d81)

Nexus 7 tablet - Android verision 4.4.2 - Latest version of Preflight.

I tested all 4 articles on each device with Preflight in both Landscape and Portrait modes. Findings follow:

iPhone 4S (Before updating Preflight): Each document displayed as Full Page, snapping w/ either letter boxing or pillar boxing

iPhone 4S (After updating Preflight): Each document displayed filling the screen w/ smooth scrolling - no snap

- It appears as though the device can't display both types (full page, or fill screen) within the same collection. I'll do further testing to see if I can get any kind of desired results.

iPhone 6+: Displayed as specified within the dashboard: Articles that DID NOT have Full Page checked, displayed filling the screen with the document and smooth scrolling. Those WITH Full Page checked, displayed one full page at a time, and snapped from page to page. However, the letter boxing and/or pillar boxing was still present and limits the ability to zoom as the boxing defines the width of the document.

iPad Mini: Functioned consistently with iPhone 6+

Android Nexus 7: Displayed each document as Full Page ONLY with snap to from page to page. Letter boxing and Pillar boxing consistent with the Apple devices.

Hope this helps anyone who is looking to convert PDFs to articles.

Thanks,

Tommy