Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How do I update TopLevel Content on my device?

Level 5

I have a number of articles in my topLevel tablet collection and after I update the content in the web UI and click the preview button in the upper right corner, I never see an update pill in the my preview app. Do I have to have collections in my topLevel to be able to update my content in the viewer?

Jeff

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Add a 'home' collection in your Top level collection and place your content in there .. that 'home' collection will act as your front window and you'll see the content as soon as you open the App

See Digital Publishing Solution Help | Manage collections

Employee

Jeff,

Have you tried backgrounding and foregrounding the app (maybe twice) to make it refresh?

Neil

Level 5

The problem with a home collection in our app is that we have horizontal swipe locked out and all articles in our collection so we can navigate around the entire app. If I add a collection, I can only navigate to it via the menu as there is no navigation to collections url available. We have buttons on each page that take the users to the home page (article). It's a complete redesign of our app due to the lack of collection to collection navigation. But we still want to use the hamburger menu to access 5 key areas of the app. So If the only thing that lives in the menu is one home button, it seems useless to make a user tap a menu button, then the only other button in the menu to go to a home page.

Neil, the only way to update that I have found is to delete the app and re-install it.

Jeff

Employee

Hi Jeff,

From an app structure standpoint you can get to the first item in the top level collection using goto://ApplicationViewState/library. If you create a collection as the first item in the top level, that URL will go there.

You can also still have the hamburger menu take you to home + five areas, since the contents of the hamburger are controlled by what’s in the top-level collection, and you’re already disabling horizontal swipe so people wouldn’t see them. I’ve done this with my Adobe Inspire demo app: I put the stuff I want to navigate to via menu in the TLC, and then duplicate them in the home collection as well.

I realize this isn’t the greatest workaround for your situation. I’m chatting with Nate about how we can address this in the future, but we made an early decision to not show update pills on articles so they didn’t intrude on readers while they are consuming content. The place that falls apart is when the top-level collection is nothing but articles ☹

Neil

Level 5

Got you. I'll try that. If we could of navigated to collections, we wouldn't be doing this work around. I prefer the top level wasn't all article content. lol. I knew you'd mention to use the goto://ApplicationViewState/library as a URL but the last few times I tried to build a button using that action the app kept crashing.

Jeff