Expand my Community achievements bar.

Card Properties > Card Style > Card Border

Level 2

There is no way to set the color of a card border to transparent, which results in a colored frame around the card when the Background Image is enabled in Layout Properties > Layout Details > Background Image (checked).

10 Replies

Employee

Do you want transparency? Or do you just want the border to not show?

Neil

Level 2

Hi Neal, we'd like to create a border that doesn't show.

Employee

I guess I'm a bit confused Kristen If you want a border that doesn't show why do you have a border? Just set the border widths to 0. Or are you trying to push the content of the card in from the edges? If that's what you're trying to do then use the margins settings on the Layout tab for the image and text area.

Neil

Level 6

Kristen, correct, you cannot make the border translucent - in other words, the border of the card can't contain an alpha value. However, the background of the card can be set to transparent, or a translucent tint. You can also add an opaque border around the image of a card in various widths and colors, but not levels of transparencies - on that note, you also cannot adjust the transparency level of the card image, it's either on or off.

Level 4

Would it be possible to just design your own storefront in InDesign and have each "card" deep link to different articles?

Level 6

Of course you can do all of your design in InDesign: Add borders, text, design the shape of your card rectangles (as long as they can conform to the grid of your browse page). However, that defeats the purpose of why and how this meta-tagging, card assigning system was intended to work. Based on the criteria of any given article (and proper tagging within the article properties), the system should be able to auto assign the right size card w/ the right style (borders, text placement, visible meta data, etc) and can continue to build onto your browse page as you add and delete content, updating your app dynamically.

Does that make sense? 

Level 4

How are meta-tags useful in this context? If you have two types of content browsing features, 1. Being a storefront (with or without cards) 2. Being the app menu system, and there is no search feature available, how are these meta tags useful?

Level 6

Well, In THIS context, I was just speaking of how the meta-tagging can assign the type and style of card treatment that is applied to an item on a browse page: Article, Banner or Collection. However, it is my understanding that in the grand scheme of the new DPS, meta-tagging is going to contribute to some very powerful features, such as searchable content, accessibility, recommendations for similar articles, and even custom user-generated collections and "smart" collections.

Level 6

Hey Kristin -- Tommy's started to break it down well, and Neil's request for a diagram would help. But I'll wade in too.

A card can have a color and can have transparency -- this serves as a background for everything else.

The card background can be covered by images, text areas, and borders.

Image and text areas sit in front of the card background, both images and text areas have margins.

Margins move the image and text areas away from the edge of the card. <-- This is how you could reveal the semi-transparent card background.

Images can have color overlays with transparency, to tint an image.

Text areas also have padding, this moves the labels (metadata) away from the edge of the text area.

Text area [i]also[/i] have color backgrounds that support transparency, so you can better manage the text color and it's legibility.

So, top-down we have:

text area: text color in front of text area color with transparency.

image area: with color overlay (transparency) in front of non-transparent card/collection image.

card background: with color and transparency (will interact with collection background color/image)

Depending on your card style, you'll get text and image areas in various positions, but text is in front of image.

How about Borders?

-- They push everything above in from the edge of the card.

-- Borders are non-transparent.

So if you want an edge to your card that's semi-transparent and interacts with your collection background, use margins for your image and/or text areas.

And if you just want space between cards, Tommy's suggestion about using gutters in your layout is great.

HTH --

Level 6

Kristen, Do you have a gutter set up within your Grid Layout?  Can you upload an image of what you are trying to accomplish?