Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Anyone have tips on keeping Articles organized? It a huge mess!

Level 3

I am sure I am not the only one who has hundreds of articles...worse they are of the same name because unlike the model that DPS 2015 is aimed for, my company doesn't need the article focused layout. So when I transferred all of my folios over to the format, rightly so I had a copy right chapter for every single folio. Each copyright chapter had a specific link to specific Folio so now I have a serious nightmare.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Migrate the folios individually, take the time to add keywords and metadata and use the filter functionality to reduce the article list down to manageable chunks.

We are working on some UI additions to help in the organizational areas, they include adding the article name to the list of columns in the UI, letting the user choose what columns they want to see, building a visual representation of your content hierarchy but all will take time to build, test and release.

Right now I advise against migrating all your content all at once specifically if you are just kicking the tires of DPS 2015. Migrate a few pieces, invest in determining your data hierarchy, spend some time looking at keywords and the various metadata fields, Play with preview and layouts with a sample subset before migrating significant amounts of content. We aren't going to suddenly shut down the old solution or remove the migration function.

When you are ready to shift from the old to the new, you'll have a better idea how much to migrate at once, how to tag the migrated content and how to assemble it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 6

Then why did you migrate them? Just leave them in folios and continue using InDesign CC2014 with DPS Classic for now.

Correct answer by
Employee

Migrate the folios individually, take the time to add keywords and metadata and use the filter functionality to reduce the article list down to manageable chunks.

We are working on some UI additions to help in the organizational areas, they include adding the article name to the list of columns in the UI, letting the user choose what columns they want to see, building a visual representation of your content hierarchy but all will take time to build, test and release.

Right now I advise against migrating all your content all at once specifically if you are just kicking the tires of DPS 2015. Migrate a few pieces, invest in determining your data hierarchy, spend some time looking at keywords and the various metadata fields, Play with preview and layouts with a sample subset before migrating significant amounts of content. We aren't going to suddenly shut down the old solution or remove the migration function.

When you are ready to shift from the old to the new, you'll have a better idea how much to migrate at once, how to tag the migrated content and how to assemble it.

Level 5

There is a filter so if you're adding metadata to Department, i.e.: an issue or month, etc, you could separate out your articles and view them using the filter feature. I do agree that the articles section in DPS2015 needs a bit more of a common sense approach - perhaps with folders.

Level 3

Knowing that InDesign CC2014 will stop being supported I have found it better to jump into new technologies and figure out how to make it work for my needs. It would be really sad to say new technologies can't do what previous versions were pretty good at.

Level 3

Kinda of need the new functions of the DPSolution badly (specifically search functionality) so don't really have a choice. Need to migrate all, soon.

Employee

Mmm, note that DPS 2015 doesn't support search (yet).

Neil