Expand my Community achievements bar.

When to choose AEM workflows over Forms workflows or vice versa

Level 2

Hi ,

I have come across with the options AEM workflows ,Forms workflows during adaptive form development, i understood forms workflow is for forms working on JEE Process and AEM workflows are for  AEM Forms on OSGI ,can any one let me know when to choose AEM workflows over Forms workflows or vice versa ,is there any special services or features that provides over one another.

Thanks in advance,

Jhansi Lakshmi.

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

This is a very subjective thing but talking about services you get almost all services that are there in AEM JEE workflow expect one or 2(Like Document security) in AEM workflow as well. If you have JEE instance you have the option to go with either of them. It sometimes depends on your existing design and your convenience to design the workflow on what would like to go for.

What's your use case? Are you having J2EE or OSGI?

Level 2

Hi Mayank,

Thanks for the prompt response, we are having OSGI , during form development in form submission process/step  we come across options like invoke AEM workflows,Invoke Forms workflows . As of now we are using AEM workflows and would like to know in which scenarios  Forms workflows can be used (which requires installation of JEE instance as well as per my assumption).Any document or resource having this distinguish of AEM Workflows and Forms workflow is of great help.

Thanks,

Jhansi Lakshmi.

Employee Advisor

Yes JEE workflow requires AEM JEE server but as you already have an OSGI instance you can go with AEM workflow. As I mentioned if it's a new workflow and doesn't have any dependency on an existing server you will be able to get almost all service and functionalities in AEM workflow as well.

Level 2

ok understood, is it like  we will use Forms workflows to use workflows that  are already developed on Adobe live cycle workbench (now currently referred as AEM forms on JEE instance) rather than creating same in AEM workflows on OSGI for adaptive forms.

Employee Advisor

Hi Jhansi,

If you already have JEE workflow you can opt for that or create an OSGI workflow otherwise from scratch. You can achieve the desired results from both but what you have in the existing infra, design and process will help you make the final decision.  If you already have OSGi setup would you be ok for the cost that comes with additional JEE server and maintenance? As I mentioned, the final decision will be based on a number of things.

Thanks,

Mayank