to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

Reader Extension service: Updating expired certificates

Khushwant_Singh
Level 4
Level 4

Adobe Experience Manager Forms (AEM Forms) customers with Adobe Managed Services or On-premise Enterprise Base licenses are entitled to use Reader Extension service. The service adds usage rights to a PDF document and activates features that are not usually available when a PDF document is opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, such as adding comments to a document, filling forms, and saving the document. A user who opens a rights-enabled PDF document in Adobe Reader can perform the operations that are enabled for that document.

Adobe leverages a PKI (public key infrastructure) to issue digital certificates for use in licensing and feature enablement. Adobe has been issuing certificates under the certificate authority “Adobe Root CA”, it is scheduled to expire on Jan 7, 2023.  Once the certificate expires, all features dependent on the certificates no longer work. For example, a reader-extended PDF document that allows adding comments using Adobe Acrobat Reader stops working for customers after Jan 7, 2023.

• To keep the Reader Extended documents working:
    • Import new certificates to your environment
    • Reapply usage rights with new certificates to already reader-extended documents
    • Redistribute updated copies of documents to users

The expiration of certificates impacts both AEM Forms on JEE and AEM Forms on OSGi stacks. Both the stacks have a different set of instructions update, remove, and apply certificates. Depending on your stack, select one of the following links for detailed instructions:

When will the new certificates be available?

New certificate credentials can be downloaded from Adobe Licensing Website. The official License Update Event (LUE) is planned for Nov 8th, 2021, and all qualifying customers will receive an automated system notification for download availability.

What happens if customers don’t update their certificate before January 7th, 2023?

On attempting to open a PDF documents Reader Extended with old certificates, users will receive an error message and can no longer access the reader-extended features.

Khushwant_Singh_0-1636352558836.png

The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Please contact author of the document.

Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

You can contact Adobe Support or raise a support ticket.

My system is showing as incompatible/ I am unable to apply the new certificate. What should I do?

This could be due to being on an end-of-life version of software. You can contact Adobe Support or raise a support ticket to understand options for upgrading or purchasing new software.

0 Replies