Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Marketing Cloud - Implement testing and validation processes to ensure only authorised changes are promoted to Higher Environments

Level 10

Hi,

In a typical Adobe Marketing Cloud  (AMC) implementation, there could be AEM, DTM, Adobe Analytics, Adobe Campaign, etc, with AEM alone being on premises and all other products on cloud.

How to ensure only authorized changes are promoted to production (Development, Test, and Production Environments)?

Like someone designated for this task will look at all changes and approve some and disapprove others and only approved changes move forward.

My understanding is that if we integrate SVN, only bug free code could be checked in and only checked in code could be moved up in the higher environments.

Before checking in, we perform correct amount of testing

Is this view correct, or any other option is available, either out of box or through any tool?

Appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Rama.

4 Replies

Level 10

The other point is that typically out of all AMC products, only AEM has Java code along with JS, CSS, etc, but all other AMC products have just JS or just configurations.

If it is JS, it could be stored in a source code control system, like SVN, how to version configurations?

Also, how to move configurations to higher environments automatically, given that they are not stored in SVN?

In the absence of automatic deployments options, do we have to manually configure?

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 10

Each solution within the Adobe Experience Cloud has user permissions management allowing you to control who within your organization can make changes. If you'd like a more specific answer, please post a similar question in that solution's community.

I'm not sure what SVN is as it relates to Adobe. Can you please clarify?

Level 10

Hi Jantzen,

Thanks for reverting.

SVN is a Source Code Control System. It need not be just SVN and could be any other Source Code Control System.

My query is more towards a Marketing Cloud Solution, with all products.

My hope is that an AMC Architect could answer my query, rather than me putting the same query in forums of all products individually.

Only with AEM, I am aware of the process. It has Java, JS, CSS, etc.

These are stored in a Source Code Control System, like SVN.

We also use Jenkins for Continuous Integration.

So, once we complete development on DEV environment, we checkin all code.

The code checkin results in error, in case of errors in code.

Once successfully checked in, we could promote the code to TEST environment.

This is the way code moves forward in environments.

But, other products like AA do not have Java generally.

My question is how code moves forward in environments, from DEV to TEST to PROD.

How to promote only authorized and correct code?

Appreciate all your support.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 10

Unfortunately, each of the Experience Cloud solutions has different code bases and deployment methods at this time. That means, each solution will have various ways of using code control systems.

For example, In DTM, you can self host your libraries. This means you are in complete control of how and when they are deployed to your site. For Analytics and Target, you are given a javascript library with instructions of how to deploy it on your web page. There is no restriction about how you test that code in your staging environments.

For more info, I'd reccomend posting in each of the solution specific forums.