Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Same Marketing Cloud ID between apps on the same device

Level 1

We operate different apps and want to identify unique visitors that cross between our apps on the same device. I noticed that different apps would generate a different Marketing Cloud ID (mid) value.

1. I would expect apps on the same device to provide the same mid value. Is this possible?

2. If it's not possible, is there another way I can group visitors by device?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10
  1. You are correct, MCID is a random, unique-per-app identifier.  It will not match across applications, even if those applications share the same Experience Cloud Org ID. Additionally, the MID will also change if the user uninstalls the app and reinstalls.
  2. You can use something like customer attributes or customer IDs to "group" devices. However, this isn't going to deduplicate devices in your reporting, It will simplify allow you to deliver the same experience to that user across the apps or devices.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10
  1. You are correct, MCID is a random, unique-per-app identifier.  It will not match across applications, even if those applications share the same Experience Cloud Org ID. Additionally, the MID will also change if the user uninstalls the app and reinstalls.
  2. You can use something like customer attributes or customer IDs to "group" devices. However, this isn't going to deduplicate devices in your reporting, It will simplify allow you to deliver the same experience to that user across the apps or devices.

Level 1

Thanks Jantzen

Does Adobe have plans to make MID or some other identifier unique-per-device?

Level 10

I don't have access to roadmap, but I'm sure we'll have some kind of soultion at a later date. If you look at the Device Co-Op I believe this is the first step. We are trying to stop identifying browsers and devices and identify individual people instead.