Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Hello, this is my second attempt to contact someone. I manually track URLs within my company I was wondering if there's a more efficient way to go about it.

Level 1

I notice that when I set the reporting period, some URLs that are not within that period still seem to appear (not sure why). Redirected links are the hardest to track, why is that? Is there a way for a rep to come to Staples Center to help my company's department please. There were some new updates this year that I don't seem to have access to. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Robyn,

Are you applying a segment to the reporting period? The first thing I would check is if there is a segment applied and if that segment uses the Visitor container. A visitor container uses all visits and may show things you don't expect to see. The second thing to check is the metric. If the metric could have applied to multiple URL's it's possible a URL you are not expecting shows up. The last thing is to pull a log in Data Warehouse. This can give you more insights into where/why this URL is firing. It's possible that the URL is active. If you want to send me an example report via private message I can look at your specific example further. 

For your second question, redirect URLs are difficult to track because the redirect wipes out the referrer. For more information on how to capture data with a redirect check out the article here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/redirects_overview.html.

Best,

Tacia

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Robyn,

Are you applying a segment to the reporting period? The first thing I would check is if there is a segment applied and if that segment uses the Visitor container. A visitor container uses all visits and may show things you don't expect to see. The second thing to check is the metric. If the metric could have applied to multiple URL's it's possible a URL you are not expecting shows up. The last thing is to pull a log in Data Warehouse. This can give you more insights into where/why this URL is firing. It's possible that the URL is active. If you want to send me an example report via private message I can look at your specific example further. 

For your second question, redirect URLs are difficult to track because the redirect wipes out the referrer. For more information on how to capture data with a redirect check out the article here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/redirects_overview.html.

Best,

Tacia

Level 1

Hello Tacia,

To answer the first question: "Are you applying a segment to the reporting period?" I believe so, when you say you're applying a reporting period do you mean the date, if so yes. Part of my issue is that I'm not sure how to efficiently use the software, I have not been formally trained on how to use it and no one else seems to know how to fully use all that the software offers. 

As for the next statement: "The first thing I would check is if there is a segment applied and if that segment uses the Visitor container. A visitor container uses all visits and may show things you don't expect to see." I'm not even sure how to began to use/set that up. Is it possible for someone to come to my company and do a formal training on how to use the software? Or possibly providing a link to a click by click tutorial/instructional. I've referenced the FAQ section for help but some of the items I am instructed to click on are not available to me. Which makes me wonder whether our software is up to date since the interface of the new version is completely different from the version I'm currently using.

The next statement: "The second thing to check is the metric. If the metric could have applied to multiple URL's it's possible a URL you are not expecting shows up." Yes, I have noticed that, so how can I prevent it from happening?

The last statement: "The last thing is to pull a log in Data Warehouse. This can give you more insights into where/why this URL is firing. It's possible that the URL is active. If you want to send me an example report via private message I can look at your specific example further. " Pull down the Data warehouse, how do I access that? How do I send a Private message, is this conversation private? Please excuse my incompetency in this subject but I am completely lost and just trying to get the most out of the offered software. Thank you again for your time and response.

Level 9

Hi Robyn,

You can find training videos in the help section by clicking on Help from Analytics. Click on Help > Help Home. From there click on the link for Enterprise TV on the first page under the video. That link will take you here https://outv.omniture.com/. There are training videos that can help explain the tools available to you. I recommend starting there. 

My first question is more related to the segment than the date chosen for the report. If you click on the icon that looks like 3 people at the top of the report, does it show a segment is applied? If so what is the container for the segment? More information on segments and containers here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_container_overview.html

Regarding the second question - for more information on understanding segments check out the article here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/

The third question has a bit of a longer answer. A metric can apply to multiple line items. A line item in this case would be 'Page URL'. All URLs that were present for the metric would appear here. This is usually working as designed depending on implementation. It may not be something to fix depending on the report. It might be how the report works. 

For the last question - posts in this forum are public. If you want to send a private message click on your name in the top right hand corner > messages. From there you can send a message to me using my screen name 'taciac'. If you can send me an example of the report through a private message I can look into it further. I do recommend checking out the help section there are quite a few videos within help articles.

Hope this helps,

Tacia