Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why is my historical audience showing as "collecting data"?

Level 10

I've created a few segments in Adobe Analytics that I'd like to use with the Experience Cloud. I've shared the segment and it's showing in the Audience Library interface, but they are showing as "collecting data". What does that mean and when will I start to see numbers?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The "Collecting Data" message appears when there isn't a number to be shown. This could be because the audience has no data yet, or it could be that the reporting UI just hasn't updated since receiving the data.

With Historical Audiences shared from Adobe Analytics, there will be a 24-48 hour delay from the initial creation until the first batch of IDs will reach the edge and become actionable.

Currently, the reporting interface in Audience Library only updates once a day (~ 7am PST). This means your Historical Audience will only show a change in size once per day.

Keep in mind, we're assuming that the segment has qualified visitors. If you share a segment with a size of zero, the audience will show "Collecting Data" until the first visitor has qualified for the segment and the 'mid' for that visitor has been pushed to the edge (24-48 hours later).

---

Important Timelines:

• ~ 3am/3pm PST (Every 12 hours) - Analytics begins the process of exporting the lists of MIDs contained within shared segments
  • ~ 11am/11pm PST (Every 12 hours) - Experience Cloud begins data ingestion process
  • ~ 7am PST (Once a day) - Audience Library reporting updates

1221683_pastedImage_1.png

---
Scenario 1 (best case):
Day 1

• ~ 10:00am PST - An Analytics segment is created and shared with the Experience Cloud.
  • ~ 10:15am PST - The audience will show in the Audience Library interface with the "Collecting Data" message
  • ~ 3:00pm PST - Analytics exports a list of 'mid' values that are contained in my segment
  • ~ 11:00pm PST - Experience Cloud begins ingesting the list of 'mid' values

Day 2

• ~ 7:00am PST - Audience Library updates

Total: ~19 hours

Scenario 2 (typical)

Day 1

• ~ 4:00pm PST - An Analytics segment is created and shared with the Experience Cloud.
  • ~ 4:15pm PST - The audience will show in the Audience Library interface with the "Collecting Data" message

Day 2

• ~ 3:00am PST - Analytics exports a list of 'mid' values that are contained in my segment
  • ~ 11:00am PST - Experience Cloud begins ingesting the list of 'mid' values

Day 3

Total: ~ 36 hours

*Occasionally, if you have a very large segment, it may not finish exporting from Analytics in time for the first Experience Cloud ingestion pickup. If that is the case, it would be ingested in the next pickup. This is why we recommend waiting 72 hours before contacting Customer Care.

---

Troubleshooting: Historical Audiences

1. Note the current Analytics segment size
  2. In a private/incognito browser window, run through the steps to qualify for the segment while verifying the Analytics beacons contain the required values. Also, ensure your Analytics beacon contains a 'mid' value (Marketing Cloud ID Service)
  3. Wait for the Analytics segment size to increase to ensure your visit in step 2 has been added to the segment. Depending on your report suite latency, this can take up to ~30 min.
  4. Ensure that 24-48 hours have passed since your visit in step 2
  5. Next, either wait until the reporting UI is updated the following morning or create a Target activity that is targeted at this Historical Audience and trigger that activity
  6. If the UI still shows "collecting data" or if the target activity isn't being triggered, contact Customer Care and explain the steps you've already taken to troubleshoot.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

The "Collecting Data" message appears when there isn't a number to be shown. This could be because the audience has no data yet, or it could be that the reporting UI just hasn't updated since receiving the data.

With Historical Audiences shared from Adobe Analytics, there will be a 24-48 hour delay from the initial creation until the first batch of IDs will reach the edge and become actionable.

Currently, the reporting interface in Audience Library only updates once a day (~ 7am PST). This means your Historical Audience will only show a change in size once per day.

Keep in mind, we're assuming that the segment has qualified visitors. If you share a segment with a size of zero, the audience will show "Collecting Data" until the first visitor has qualified for the segment and the 'mid' for that visitor has been pushed to the edge (24-48 hours later).

---

Important Timelines:

• ~ 3am/3pm PST (Every 12 hours) - Analytics begins the process of exporting the lists of MIDs contained within shared segments
  • ~ 11am/11pm PST (Every 12 hours) - Experience Cloud begins data ingestion process
  • ~ 7am PST (Once a day) - Audience Library reporting updates

1221683_pastedImage_1.png

---
Scenario 1 (best case):
Day 1

• ~ 10:00am PST - An Analytics segment is created and shared with the Experience Cloud.
  • ~ 10:15am PST - The audience will show in the Audience Library interface with the "Collecting Data" message
  • ~ 3:00pm PST - Analytics exports a list of 'mid' values that are contained in my segment
  • ~ 11:00pm PST - Experience Cloud begins ingesting the list of 'mid' values

Day 2

Total: ~19 hours

Scenario 2 (typical)

Day 1

• ~ 4:00pm PST - An Analytics segment is created and shared with the Experience Cloud.
  • ~ 4:15pm PST - The audience will show in the Audience Library interface with the "Collecting Data" message

Day 2

• ~ 3:00am PST - Analytics exports a list of 'mid' values that are contained in my segment
  • ~ 11:00am PST - Experience Cloud begins ingesting the list of 'mid' values

Day 3

Total: ~ 36 hours

*Occasionally, if you have a very large segment, it may not finish exporting from Analytics in time for the first Experience Cloud ingestion pickup. If that is the case, it would be ingested in the next pickup. This is why we recommend waiting 72 hours before contacting Customer Care.

---

Troubleshooting: Historical Audiences

1. Note the current Analytics segment size
  2. In a private/incognito browser window, run through the steps to qualify for the segment while verifying the Analytics beacons contain the required values. Also, ensure your Analytics beacon contains a 'mid' value (Marketing Cloud ID Service)
  3. Wait for the Analytics segment size to increase to ensure your visit in step 2 has been added to the segment. Depending on your report suite latency, this can take up to ~30 min.
  4. Ensure that 24-48 hours have passed since your visit in step 2
  5. Next, either wait until the reporting UI is updated the following morning or create a Target activity that is targeted at this Historical Audience and trigger that activity
  6. If the UI still shows "collecting data" or if the target activity isn't being triggered, contact Customer Care and explain the steps you've already taken to troubleshoot.

Level 2

This confuses me as it contradicts what in documented on the Adobe Marketing Cloud help section, I am trying to debug why my data is not pulling through to experience cloud despite all the data being in analytics and the RSID's being mapped and provisioned.

Audience creation options in Adobe Experience Cloud

Level 10

Can you help me understand what is contradicting between this and the help docs? If I can see what is contradicting, I'll work with the doc team to make sure we clarify the issue.

Are you still having a problem with your data not pulling through? If so, which type of audience have you created? Is it a historical audience shared from Analytics or a real-time audience from the Audience Library interface?