Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Internal URLS on Referrer dimension

Level 8

Hello everyone,
I have a question on the referrer data.
I'm getting many occurences that are urls from our website inside this dimension, even though I thought that only external referrers should be stored. 

Is this alright ? or should we 'filter" this using the DTM? 

Or maybe I could use a hit segment directly on Adobe Analytics ?

Thanks alot for the help,

Cheers,

Mario

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yeah, have them check the URL for the property and the s.linkInternalFiliters. Here is a page that might help explain what that setting does

Compare s.linkInternalFilters to internal URL filters

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi Mario,

If you're seeing internal URLs in your referrers data, there may be something wrong with your Internal URL filters. Can you give me an example of what domain the report is run on and what is showing in the referrers report?

Thanks,
Jantzen

Level 10

Mario,

Were you able to solve the issue? If so, would you mind giving a brief explanation on what solved it in case others face this issue?

Cheers,
Jantzen

Level 8

Hello Jantzen,

I don't have any Access to the internal Url Filters. I transmited this issue to my teams that have a DTM access.
Whenever they make a change, and I see the a downgrade in my reports I'll close the issue.

To answer your question , if my report is runnning on the https//www.x.com domain, then I get many reffers from https://www.x/y (more than half of the total occurences).

Thanks again for your implication on this issue.

Cheers,

Mario

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yeah, have them check the URL for the property and the s.linkInternalFiliters. Here is a page that might help explain what that setting does

Compare s.linkInternalFilters to internal URL filters

Level 8

Hello Jantzen.Belliston​ !

I have and answer from my IT teams, It seems that it's more complicated that what I though ( just giving a value to the Urlinternalfilter and s.linkInternalFilters ) since we have many properties (one for a diferent regional site), and sometimes we rely on Iframes and webviews for mobile applications - for just one report suite. So it seems that the URLS don't have always the same domain...
I asked him if it was possible to do a list of all the domains and sub domains, and then give this value to all the js variables on each property -  so I guess it's still a work in progress !

Kind regards,

Mario

Level 10

Yeah, I've seen complex setups like that before. You'll have to play with those settings or possibly some exclusion tactics in Analytics to get your desired result.

Gigazelle​ - have you seen customers use classifications or some other tactic in Analytics to help with referral domain issues?

Employee Advisor

Internal URL filters inside the report suite's admin settings is absolutely going to be your best bet here.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/internal_URL_filter_admin.html

This requires admin access to Adobe Analytics, but once you set it up once, it will work from that point forward. The good news is that your DTM implementation is not at fault here