Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

How to solve character encoding issues in subject with emoji and special characters?

Level 1

We're trying to send out an email with a fire emoji, represented by =?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=94=A5?=

It works fine for the most part, until an email contains higher ascii such as © or ó, at which point it starts trying to mix encodings and set the rest of the title as windows-1252 according to the header output, at which point you see the above =?UTF-8?...etc string printed out in the subject.

We're importing the data as UTF-8, and even tried the "Force Encoding" setting in the master template, but it still generates a broken, mixed-encoding title when it hits higher ascii.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi,

You have to encode all non-english characters as well.

For example:

Å - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=85?=

Ø - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=98?=

Æ - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=86?=

Ä - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=84?=

å - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A5?=

ø - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=B8?=

æ - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A6?=

ä - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A4?=

Subject: "K=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=B8?=benhavn =?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=98=81?= "

Will be visible as "København (emoji_is_here) "

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Please have a look at the following thread, which to me seems close to your current question: how to use emoji in adobe campaign subject line?

Let me know if you need more information,

Florent

Level 1

Yes, I've seen that thread before; as you'll note, we're using the same method described there. However, we're encountering the same issue as the last comment in that thread that was never replied to.

It works fine until something like é or © shows up and then it all blows up. Something in Campaign is adding a bunch of windows-1252 (latin1) encoding markers to the subject and this causes the =?UTF-8 code to stop working and be displayed verbatim.

Level 1

I just sent another test email to grab some screenshots:

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=94=A5?= Emoji Test 1

Result: https://i.imgur.com/D84v0UR.png

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=94=A5?= Émoji Test 2

Result: https://i.imgur.com/Q8Kgupo.png

Level 1

Well that's a new one. Something's changed now, and even without a special character, it breaks.

The subject is now being UTF-8 encoded, which results in the emoji marker being encoded again, and so it decodes to the raw text of the =?UTF-8 stuff instead of the emoji as intended.

Example:

Subject: =?utf-8?B?PT9VVEYtOD9RPz1GMD05Rj05ND1BNT89wqBTbGlja2RlYWxzJw==?=

=?utf-8?B?IHRlc3QyQiBEZWFsczogV2F0Y2ggRG9ncyAoWGJveCBPbmUpIGF0IE1pYw==?=

=?utf-8?B?cm9zb2Z0IFN0b3Jl?=

Level 10

Hi,

I'm sorry I'm not sure of how to correct that. I'd recommend contacting our support team to have this investigated further and eventually be checked by our engineering team.

Let me know if you find a solution in the meantime.

Florent

Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone find a solution to that problem ?

Best regards,

Pierre

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi,

You have to encode all non-english characters as well.

For example:

Å - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=85?=

Ø - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=98?=

Æ - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=86?=

Ä - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=84?=

å - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A5?=

ø - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=B8?=

æ - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A6?=

ä - =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A4?=

Subject: "K=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=B8?=benhavn =?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=98=81?= "

Will be visible as "København (emoji_is_here) "

Level 1

Hm; then I guess the question is, does Adobe have a function that will apply that encoding? The data we're using in the title is not static, but from a resource we have.

Level 2

How did you manage to give space after each word ?

Level 2

I'm unable to add space between words, how can i achieve it.

Level 10

Dear all,

More and more posts/tickets in the Adobe Campaign community, the LinkedIn groups, questions among AC users in other locations,  regarding emojis management issues...

It is time to ask to Adobe an effort to resolve this situation, as it is done in other competitors products.

So, please vote for this suggestion:

Emojis in mail object - Ease the use

Regards.
Jean-Serge