Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Problem with emoji in mData (XML memo) of delivery (DB : Oracle, instance on Linux / CentOS)

Community Advisor

Hi all,

We have a problem while putting specials characters in deliveries content source. We paste raw Emojis in HTML source (this is not the final goal, we are developping Mobile Push custom channel, but the problem is exactly the same), we are able to save the delivery first. But then, the delivery is unusable : it's impossible to open it, send it etc.

This is because the engine have problem with the XML processing :

CedricRey_0-1653900604951.png

I've made several tests :

- Try to put emoji in the label attribute. The label attribute is a pure SQL column. This works, no problem.

- Query the database directly with SQL Developper : no problem, I can see the emoji. The database is UTF-8 encoded and seems to handle the emojis

CedricRey_1-1653900810739.png

- Made this with another configuration / instance : On a MSSQL database, but must important, running on a Windows server, the problem doesn't occur. The build numbers a very similar (or the same).

We had this problem on a 9032, but also with a freshly upgraded 9349 instance. Our marketing operators did have this problem once when coppying raw emoji in a delivery.

The Database is an Oracle 12c, and the application instances are running on linux / Centos. I suspect the instance engine more than the DB itself to be the cause (as SQL varchars column handle it, and I can SQL query the delivery in the DB without error)

I tried also to "XML" encode the chars (&#XXXX;), it's a good solution for HTML, but not for our case (we gonna send mobile pushes) : the personalization engine keep this code for each message and send as it. I haven't (or don't know) any way to catch the source just before the personalization / messagePart processing, and I'm afraid to loose performance if I have to "decode" each message part in the processDeliveryPart function with this "solution".

If anyone already had this problem and have some clue, I'd be interested.

Thank you all for reading,

Cedric

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Deb_Tripathy ,

I attempted your solution, the emoji tool button appears in the newest build (9349) that we have in one stage environment. We don't have this tool in 9032 build (last GM release).

Sadly, this tool insert the raw emoji, like if I paste it directly (or use the Windows Emoji keyboard) and the problem is exactly the same I described.

As it is a native functionnality since 9349, we gonna open a support ticket.

Thank you for your help

Cédric

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @CedricRey ,

Have you tried adding OOO emoticons from the delivery tool bar?

Deb_Tripathy_0-1654004959025.png

If it works, may be you can try to add your emoji to the list as per the documentation and check if it works.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/campaign-classic/using/sending-messages/personalizing-delive...

It might be related to OS as per the documentation.

Thanks,

Deb

Community Advisor

Hi @Deb_Tripathy 

Thank you for your response,

I'll check tomorrow and I tell you if it help.

Cedric

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Deb_Tripathy ,

I attempted your solution, the emoji tool button appears in the newest build (9349) that we have in one stage environment. We don't have this tool in 9032 build (last GM release).

Sadly, this tool insert the raw emoji, like if I paste it directly (or use the Windows Emoji keyboard) and the problem is exactly the same I described.

As it is a native functionnality since 9349, we gonna open a support ticket.

Thank you for your help

Cédric