Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why do we use page names instead of URLs in Adobe analytics?

Level 2

Can anyone help me in clarifying a doubt why we use pagename instead of URLs in Adobe Analytics?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

There are several problems with basing reports on URLs.  Here's one of the biggest:  the same page may have multiple 'urls', reflecting campaigns or other query parameters. 

E.g.:  mysite.com/page1 and mysite.com/page1?cid=456 is recorded as two separate URLs, but they are the same page.  PageName is therefore the much preferred option.

Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Hari,

Thanks for reaching out to the community. 

Could you please elaborate the context of the question as Adobe Analytics could track both the page names and page URl's for its reports. This would help us in answering your question better. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 2

Thank you for your response.

My question is, when there is a provision to pull the reports using URL, why people prefer pagenames? Isn't URL report appropreate or any other reason behind it?

Best regards,

Hari Prasad

Correct answer by
Level 2

There are several problems with basing reports on URLs.  Here's one of the biggest:  the same page may have multiple 'urls', reflecting campaigns or other query parameters. 

E.g.:  mysite.com/page1 and mysite.com/page1?cid=456 is recorded as two separate URLs, but they are the same page.  PageName is therefore the much preferred option.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Level 2

Chris Biber wrote...

Hope this helps.

Chris

Yes, this is very informative. Thank you for your answer.

Level 2

We prefer to use Page name instead of URL to understand the report in easy way. Tons of URL will be slight difficult to understand as which URL belongs to which page. But if use use friendly page name, then it will make more sense while analyzing the report.

E.G. www.mysite.com/home can be defined as Homepage

www.mysite.com/womencategory can be defined as Women Landing Page etc

Level 2

I think it is also true that using a page name will accommodate a change to the URL - for example if it's put in a different directory. By keying off the page name the metrics can follow the page to the new URL location. Helpful with company or product re-organizations.

BK