Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

View Tags

Level 3

Hi all,

I wonder if we can use SiteCatalyst to track impressions like Facebook tracks using view tags. Or what is the best alternative to track impressions using SiteCatalyst? 

http://allfacebook.com/facebook-view-tag-impressions_b105156

Thanks.

Regards,
CY

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Using the data connectors capability would be able to provide you with pre-click to conversion data. When a user clicks on a link, a cookie is set that links up pre-click to post-click data.

By combining the data between what you get on your site with what the 3rd party provides, you can link up pre-click and post-click data.

---
If this answer was helpful, mark it with a 'heart'. If it answered your question, mark it correct.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Employee Advisor

Impressions from third-party sites are usually tracked by the ad vendor, as they track it by the number of times your ad was called from their servers. There's not an easy way to attach Analytics code to that, however you can use data sources to import that data into Adobe Analytics and report off of it.

If the ads were on your site, you could simply define a new variable on that page identifying the ad, increasing impressions for it.

Level 3

What I meant was users see the advertisement without do not click it. (I had to post it again as I deleted it as I thought I accidentally double posted)

Level 4

Hi,

You can certainly capture impressions using custom link tracking. Please refer to : http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

Also check the comments section which has some good example for capturing impressions.

Level 4

With Custom Link Tracking You can pass just about any­thing using Link Track­ing. 

As the article says " Note that “Link Track­ing” is some­thing of a mis­nomer; while track­ing link clicks is its pri­mary pur­pose, this fea­ture can be applied to nearly any­thing, and not just to links." 

Also in the comment section (last comment) : " Ben,Can the custom link tracking code be used to create an image request that fires off when an ad is loaded?" to which Ben replied: "It sure can. Instead of using the onclick handler, you'd use an onload."

Level 3

[quote:postID=forum__4edg-hi_all_i_wonder__nvop-impressionsfromthi]

Impressions from third-party sites are usually tracked by the ad vendor, as they track it by the number of times your ad was called from their servers. There's not an easy way to attach Analytics code to that, however you can use data sources to import that data into Adobe Analytics and report off of it.

If the ads were on your site, you could simply define a new variable on that page identifying the ad, increasing impressions for it.

[/quote]

I see. thanks for you reply. According to your reply, the ad vendor could provide us impressions but I believe that they would not be able to track post impression revenue. What do you suggest/ What do people normally do to track post impression revenue when the ad is on third-party websites? 

Thanks.

Employee Advisor

Pre-click data to conversion would be rather difficult, however post-click (once they arrive on your site via the ad) to conversion could be done with relative ease.

You can assign a query string value to each different ad, and capture the query string into an eVar. From there it's as easy as accessing the eVar report and viewing revenue as a metric.

Level 3

Gigazelle wrote...

Pre-click data to conversion would be rather difficult, however post-click (once they arrive on your site via the ad) to conversion could be done with relative ease.

You can assign a query string value to each different ad, and capture the query string into an eVar. From there it's as easy as accessing the eVar report and viewing revenue as a metric.

Yea, that is what we have been doing by tagging the URL with a tracking ID. In other words, post impression conversion is not possible to done in our case?

Thanks. 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Using the data connectors capability would be able to provide you with pre-click to conversion data. When a user clicks on a link, a cookie is set that links up pre-click to post-click data.

By combining the data between what you get on your site with what the 3rd party provides, you can link up pre-click and post-click data.

---
If this answer was helpful, mark it with a 'heart'. If it answered your question, mark it correct.

Level 3

Gigazelle wrote...

---

Hi,

Did you mean Adobe Analytics Data Connectors? But, without making a purchase of this tool, there is not a way to get the data linked? 

http://www.adobe.com/solutions/digital-analytics/data-connectors.html

Thanks.

Employee Advisor

Yes, they are the same. The reason why Data Connectors is offered as a solution is so clients can get this specific subset of data, since it works directly with our partners. I'm not aware of another method to obtain this data, unless you had access to the unique identifier for the partner in question.

Level 3

What about this specific example? We post on Facebook and advertise on Facebook using the image ad on the side bar.

Regarding this, can we track anyone that has seen Facebook image ad but do not click that ad to come to our website to make a purchase? 

By putting the tracking at onload, it works if the image ad is on our website and hence we have a control over it. What about those external advertisement that appear somewhere outside our website?