Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Paid Search Campaign is assigned to Last Touch Channel "Other"

Level 1

Dear all,

Could someone please explain why a Paid Search cid/trackingcode is assigned to Last Touch Channel "Other". Please remark the 78 Visits respectivly 66 Tracking Code Instances:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 18.21.42.png

Additional, here is the Referrer

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 18.23.32.png

The assignment of that Paid-Search-CID to Natural Search is clear and can be explained by:

https://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/comparing-tracking-codes-and-marketing-channels.html

This is the Override Rule (see line 12):

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 18.25.27.png

This is the processing rule:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-22 um 18.27.54.png

It would be great to get a concrete example of a single user behavior leading to that result.

Thank you in advance!

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi peterpan2019

I believe you have a bug in the processing rules for "paid search" (or at least it is not working as expected). I mean I can not think of a good reason why you should have "tracking code instances" which are obviously from "paid search" but assigned to "last touch = other". could you post a screenshot of the rule for "paid search" itself (what you already showed in excel)?

beside that, there is a difference between "visit" and "tracking code instances" and some unexpected values in the "visit column". giving you an example: assume a visitor comes to your site matching "other" (last touch). a few minutes later he comes again but this time with the tracking code for paid search. now looking at the "visit" with this tracking code, the same visit also had a visit to "other". so this visit will show up twice (once in "other" and once in "paid search"). ok?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi peterpan2019

I believe you have a bug in the processing rules for "paid search" (or at least it is not working as expected). I mean I can not think of a good reason why you should have "tracking code instances" which are obviously from "paid search" but assigned to "last touch = other". could you post a screenshot of the rule for "paid search" itself (what you already showed in excel)?

beside that, there is a difference between "visit" and "tracking code instances" and some unexpected values in the "visit column". giving you an example: assume a visitor comes to your site matching "other" (last touch). a few minutes later he comes again but this time with the tracking code for paid search. now looking at the "visit" with this tracking code, the same visit also had a visit to "other". so this visit will show up twice (once in "other" and once in "paid search"). ok?

Level 1

Hi ursboller,

thx at first!

But I don't get your example, because in my opiniton its like that:

When a user comes in his first visits via channel "Other" and without a trackingcode it will results in:

first Visit: Channel = Other; trackingcode = none

When same user comes in his second visits via channel "paid search" and with trackingcode "abc" it will result in

second Visit: Channel = paid search; trackingcode = abc

The second visit will not affect the first visit! Or?

Or do you mention, that all these things happens during a single visit (remark: a new visit is generated after 30 minutes of inactivity)

Community Advisor

Hi peterpan2019

yes, basically you have a mix of values when everything happens in the same visit. I alwqys have problems to report on "visit" level because users might come to our side from different sources with a short timeframe (so technically the same "visit"). thats why I prefer to report on a single point (success event) because at this point the user can only have exactly 1 last marketing channel and 1 last trackingcode...

maybe the example I provided above is not perfect (or might not end in the reporting as described), but you get the idea... sometimes it's just a "old tracking code" but a new marketing channel... (specially organic vs paid search...)