Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Multiple Product Tag Issue

Community Advisor

Hello,

On our website, we have our data layer tagged with Product Tags. And, we are capturing all the product tags attached to pages into a conversion variable names "product tag". Many pages are attached to multi-product tags also so they are all also coming in the conversion variable. However, the issue that we are facing is on pulling the report in analytics using the "product tag". we are seeing some other pages also that even doesn't belong to that product tag. for example if we try to apply a segment "product tag contains ABCD" then it pulls pages which even doesn't have ABCD tag on it. Any suggestions?

jsvasu_0-1659994626119.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@JyotiSharmaV That is because of the persistence of an evar, you can populate the same value in a prop and you would not other values in the visit.

Or you can use evar instances metrics along with this evar, you will see the exact number of times the value has been set without persistence

You can read about the persistence here 

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2008/08/19/conversion-variables-part-ii

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@JyotiSharmaV That is because of the persistence of an evar, you can populate the same value in a prop and you would not other values in the visit.

Or you can use evar instances metrics along with this evar, you will see the exact number of times the value has been set without persistence

You can read about the persistence here 

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2008/08/19/conversion-variables-part-ii

Community Advisor

@VaniBhemarasetty @yuhuisg Do you think it is because I have set the conversion variable to expires after VISIT instead of HIT? should I set my evar to Expire after HIT instead of VISIT?

jsvasu_1-1660163546621.png

jsvasu_0-1660163525562.png

Community Advisor

Yes. But before you change that setting, make sure that your suggested new setting is indeed what it should be for all reporting cases, and not just for your problem of seeing extra page names in your report.

Community Advisor

@yuhuisg @VaniBhemarasetty my product tag evar is page load evar. If I am not wrong it should be HIT level not visit level (for expiration). This is the reason I have this problem right?

Can you tell me which evar should be set to expire after HIT or VISIT?

Community Advisor

What do you mean by this: "my product tag evar is page load evar" ?

Instead of providing your problem in bits and pieces, can you please provide all of the following:

• your current implementation, e.g. how your eVars are being set in code or in your tag management service
  • a sample beacon hit to AA's server showing all of the eVars that you have problems with

That will help us to troubleshoot your problem more effectively.

Community Advisor

Besides what  @VaniBhemarasetty has mentioned, check your segment's definition too. If you're using a Visit-level segment, then it will return all data for all visits that have at least one hit that match your conditions. That would also include all of the page names that had been viewed in the visits.

Community Advisor

@yuhuisg I have not created a separate segment. I am pulling dimension "product tag" as segment with "contain" operator and it at visitor level

Community Advisor

Well, what you're doing will still cause the result of AA reporting page names other than the ones associated with your "product tag" dimension.

Since you're using a Visitor-level segment, you're saying "return all data for all visitors who had at least 1 hit that contained my product tag". And since a visitor can view pages A, B, C, X, Y, Z, etc, AA will report all of those pages too.

I suggest that you use a Hit-level segment instead.

Community Advisor

@yuhuisg I have checked with hit level also it's still the same. I am seeing many pages that even do not belong to that product tag. 

jsvasu_1-1660069479538.png

Community Advisor

Then your problem is most likely related to the eVar's persistence setting, which @VaniBhemarasetty had mentioned in her reply.