Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Looking for advice/experience on using CDN proxy to workaround ITP

Level 4

Hello,

Looking for some advice/experience on using CDN proxy to workaround the ITP issue (since using CNAME first party cookie is also capped at 7 days now).

Currently we are not using CNAME, and a CDN proxy is configured to map metrics.example.com to example.sc.omtrdc.net, AA server calls sent through metrics.example.com works fine but the ITP impact is still exists as the expiry of the cookies are 7 days.

After some research, it seems the first party cookie s_ecid should be in the picture so that the CDN proxy can hide it from ITP and keep its expiry at 2 years.

So the question is - how to enable the s_ecid cookie?

Thanks,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor
4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Employee Advisor

Keep in mind that this is *not* an Adobe-approved/tested process for implementation. Instead, we have a new technology that is currently in beta that will basically let you set your own ECID value. Since it's in beta, the name hasn't been finalized, but it's either Bring Your Own ID or Customer Generated Device ID (or something like that).

In essence, the thinking is that you could set HTTP Response Header cookies that are set server-side with your own anonymous ID (using UUID). ITP does not have any limits applied to these types of cookies. From there, you'd pass that UUID to the Web SDK, and you'd be back to having 2+ years of cookie visitor lifetime.

In my opinion, it makes more sense to begin the work towards migrating towards the Web SDK in anticipation of the release of this new feature early 2022, rather than the proxy workaround, which is not Adobe-approved.

Level 4

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Would like to learn more about the Web SDK custom ID approach. Would you please share more info about this?

Thanks,

John

Employee Advisor

Hi John - unfortunately that's all of the information that I have right now. The new feature is currently in beta and should be released in early 2022. It most likely is a little too late to join the beta, but you may want to reach out to your customer success manager for more information.

Sorry I don't have more information for you, but plenty more is on the way!