Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to ONLY count the non-repeating instances for a sepcific eVar in Adobe analytics?

Level 3

Because some wrong practices happend in our Adobe Launch implementation, we set the duration of the utm related data elements as Session.

As a result, the data will continually sent into the report suits. However, the media team only want to see the first hit of every new sources with utm code.

I made a examples for your to understand the situation. 

The GREEN is the Actual Times of the ENTRY, that's the number which media team want.

The RED is the way how we collect the data now. 

DebbyNPL_0-1634808178193.png

You can see only count the instances and the entire of each A/B/C can not get the array we want

So I thought of that there is a function of segment which is "Non-repeating Instances", which can help me to only focus on those hit with non-repeating instances.

Which I thought the calculation will be only focus on the hit with LIGHT GREEN, which is just met the actual entry from media. 

I thought that's what I want.

DebbyNPL_1-1634808178198.jpeg

However, the result is, the instances of those Non-repearing Instances is even less than the Visit!

DebbyNPL_2-1634808178198.jpeg

DebbyNPL_3-1634808178199.jpeg

Could you help me point out the problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can also use the "Instances" radio button in your segment's variable setting.

"Instances" refers to the hits where the variable had a value set in it.

"Non-Repeating Instances" refers to the hits where AA had persisted the value in the absence of it being set.

The other option is to use the green metric, "[your eVar's name] Instances", instead of "Visits". That reports the number of hits where your eVar had a set value.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

@DebbyNPL ,

Use Visits or Visitors with the created segment as the "repeating instances" are detected in a sequence of hits rather than in a single hit (occurrence).

Level 3

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your help

I saw the document and it says it need to be the "hit" as segment. 

If I use visit or visitors as the container, then it will contains all hits of a visit which have a non-repeating instances. I just need to pick just the hit which is non-repearting instances, or I can also say "the first hit of a continuous instances"

DebbyNPL_0-1634882648962.png

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/seg-...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can also use the "Instances" radio button in your segment's variable setting.

"Instances" refers to the hits where the variable had a value set in it.

"Non-Repeating Instances" refers to the hits where AA had persisted the value in the absence of it being set.

The other option is to use the green metric, "[your eVar's name] Instances", instead of "Visits". That reports the number of hits where your eVar had a set value.

Hope that helps!

Level 3

Hi Yuhuisg

Does the "the hits where AA had persisted the value in the absence of it being set" refers to the post-eVars of the duration setting of the eVar in Adobe Analytics besides the implementation?

I'm pretty sure of that the "Non-repeating Instances" is not refers to the values of post-eVars.

Community Advisor

@DebbyNPL , 

Does the "the hits where AA had persisted the value in the absence of it being set" refers to the post-eVars of the duration setting of the eVar in Adobe Analytics besides the implementation?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure of that the "Non-repeating Instances" is not refers to the values of post-eVars.

Good point, I confused myself. So what you did was correct.

What is the expiry setting for your eVar(s)?