I have a website that uses Adobe Launch for the implementation method. Therefore, I can populate the s.campaign variable with a query string parameter from the url. I have a few questions about using Google Ads Paid Search and marketing channels:
1. The default page URL in a google ad would be www.foo.com?gclid=1234. I'm planning to value track parameters to append a campaign id variable called cmpid. This variable will have the below type of syntax:
With the above setup, if I go to AA > Admin > Paid Search Detection: Query String contains 'paid-search' , search ads should get get classified as paid search channel.
How do I pass the paid search keywords that triggered the website visit?
2. How can I define more channels such as programmatic, display? In Processing rules section of AA > Admin, I am able to create a condition where IF Query string parameter of X contains Y
However, I'm unable to add an action where if X = Y , then marketing channel = Programmatic [example]. How can I accomplish this?
3. When it comes to campaign tracking in AA, what's the best practices to use and anything that I've missed in the above?
1. It makes sense to distinguish the traffic further, I'd set IF query string param cmpid contains "paid-search" then Paid Search and so on... Before your post you wanted to scan the ENTIRE QUERY STRING for paid-search, this could create potentially false positives.
2. Depends if other will overwrite this rule or not. If others won't overwrite it, it will apply until the defined expiration date is met (normally 30 days).